Technical Discussion
  >> Apple Issues

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User micksharpe
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 15-Oct-11 16:34:55
Print Post

Caps Lock

[link to this post]

I'm fed up with accidentally hitting the Caps Lock key and having to correct my typing when I realise what I've done. OK, I'm using Windows and there are solutions available, some better than others. Microsoft's is typically feeble in that you can ask Windows to emit a beep when you turn Caps Lock on and another beep when you turn it off.

Why am I moaning about Windows in the Apple forum? Well, how do the wizards of Cupertino make the Caps Lock key easy to control? Do they do it better than Microsoft? I don't have any Apple kit so I'm asking you fanboiz and girlz.

__________________________________________________________________________________________
'There are moments, Jeeves, when one asks oneself, "Do trousers matter?"'
‘The mood will pass, sir.’
P.G Wodehouse -- The Code of the Woosters
It Ought to be Easy | Greasemonkey scripts
Standard User AEP
(knowledge is power) Sat 15-Oct-11 16:48:19
Print Post

Re: Caps Lock

[re: micksharpe] [link to this post]

You want something that knows when you've hit Caps Lock accidently and when you've done it deliberately? Good luck with that!

Other than a warning beep, what more could be done to solve your problem? The only thing that I can think of is to disable it completely. AFAIK OS X offers no other solution.
Standard User micksharpe
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 15-Oct-11 16:56:10
Print Post

[re: AEP] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by AEP:
You want something that knows when you've hit Caps Lock accidently and when you've done it deliberately? Good luck with that!
I always hit Caps Lock accidentally. If I want to type a string of CAPITAL LETTERS, I keep my pinkie finger on the Shift key, so the Caps Lock key is redundant. I've always done this. A Registry hack will disable the Caps Lock key, and there are third-party utilties that you can use if the thought of hacking the Windows Registry makes you want to dive under your duvet. I'm just wondering what alternatives OS X offers.

__________________________________________________________________________________________

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Sat 15-Oct-11 17:05:17
Print Post

Apple's new keyboard protects from OVERZEALOUS TYPISTS
By Jeff Smykil | Published 4 years ago

Unique among the rest of the keys, Caps Lock doesn’t activate immediately upon strike. There’s a very small time window — perhaps a quarter of a second — where if you release the key inside the window, the keystroke is ignored.

______________________________________________________________________________. __________________
Standard User micksharpe
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 15-Oct-11 17:09:16
Print Post

[re: AEP] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by AEP:

Other than a warning beep, what more could be done to solve your problem? The only thing that I can think of is to disable it completely. AFAIK OS X offers no other solution.
I want something that prevents me from hitting Caps Lock accidentally. Moving it out of the way would be one solution. Providing tactile feedback would be another. For example, making the Caps Lock key latching.

The placement of the Caps Lock and Shift keys replicate the keys on a mechanical typewriter where there was ample tactile feedback. Modern keyboards do not give you this feedback and work-arounds such as LEDs on the key-cap or elsewhere do not really help. Software 'solutions' such as window pop-ups or system sounds are even more useless.

There has to be a better way but computer manufacturers do not seem to be interested.

Standard User micksharpe
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 15-Oct-11 17:10:45
Print Post

[re: BatBoy] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by BatBoy:
Apple's new keyboard protects from OVERZEALOUS TYPISTS
By Jeff Smykil | Published 4 years ago

Unique among the rest of the keys, Caps Lock doesn’t activate immediately upon strike. There’s a very small time window — perhaps a quarter of a second — where if you release the key inside the window, the keystroke is ignored.
Sounds interesting. It should be doable in Windows.

Moderator billford
(moderator) Sat 15-Oct-11 17:26:42
Print Post

In reply to a post by micksharpe:
Also of interest- it only works in one direction, ie

If Caps Lock is off, a brief tap won't turn it on but

If Caps Lock is on, a brief tap will turn it off

~~~~~~~~~~~~
Bill

bill@thinkbroadband.com __________________Planes and Boats and ... __________________BQM
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband moderator but it does not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User micksharpe
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 15-Oct-11 17:37:54
Print Post

[re: billford] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by billford:
In reply to a post by micksharpe:
Also of interest- it only works in one direction, ie

If Caps Lock is off, a brief tap won't turn it on but

If Caps Lock is on, a brief tap will turn it off
The next question is, 'In your experience, does it work?'

Moderator billford
(moderator) Sat 15-Oct-11 17:43:34
Print Post

On the whole, yes... I still occasionally turn it on accidentally, but nowhere near as often as I used to with Windows!

Alternatively, it's easily turned off under SysPrefs.

~~~~~~~~~~~~
Bill

bill@thinkbroadband.com __________________Planes and Boats and ... __________________BQM
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband moderator but it does not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User AEP
(knowledge is power) Sat 15-Oct-11 17:48:51
Print Post

So if you never use the Caps Lock key then disable it. Simple.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to