Technical Discussion
  >> Apple Issues

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User xela
(fountain of knowledge) Sun 16-Oct-11 21:00:23
Print Post

Dodgy iPhone home button

[link to this post]

Hi all,

The 'home' button on my iPhone has become a bit flakey. If you push it hard, it responds, but equally it's possible to "click" it and get no response... Anything from a light to medium click is 50:50 as to whether or not it responds to the click. (The tactile feedback is fine, it's just that iOS doesn't notice the button push. Very annoying when I need to double click to get into multitasking or iPod controls.)

My iPhone 4 is about 16 months old and is in a 24 month contract with O2.

My question is: what's the best way of getting this repaired? I imagine O2 will takes weeks to get a repair sorted, is that a fair assumption? Would an Apple Retail Store be able to fix or replace my phone then and there? Is there another option?

I want to minimise the time I have to be without my phone.

Thanks!
Standard User jinger
(regular) Sun 16-Oct-11 21:45:24
Print Post

Re: Dodgy iPhone home button

[re: xela] [link to this post]

If you have had your phone for about 16 months, I presume it will be a '1st gen' iPhone 4 like mine. I also have intermittent problems with my home button. My problem started about 8 months ago and whilst it hasn't got any better, it hasn't got any worse, thank goodness.

I have been told that this is a known problem with the 1st gen phones and have been told that it can be sent away which will take about 7-10 days to get it back to me with no guarantee of a fix (as it's intermittent, it may behave whilst the engineers play with it to find the fault) or I can book an appointment with my local Apple Genius Bar, again with no guarantee of it being fixed or the phone being swapped. It may be worth ringing Apple Support and having a word, but they'll probably advise you to get a Genius to have a look at it anyway but they may be able to advise you if it can be swapped (although with it being over 12 months old, I doubt this may happen as there is only a 12 month guarantee on iPhones??).

In a world where everything is a copy .... I remain an original
Born free.... Taxed to death!
Standard User xela
(fountain of knowledge) Sun 16-Oct-11 22:03:35
Print Post

[re: jinger] [link to this post]

hmm. Well, I'm thinking that a) it was sold with a 24 month contract and b) it must be fit for purpose and therefore c) the phone should not break through normal wear and tear within 24 months.

I can click my home button dozens of times without it registering* so I think I have a sporting chance of proving this to a genius. I'm less sure about O2. Last time I sent them a phone for repair they lost it. (But they didn't realise that as such. It just took them so long that they finally conceded that nothing was actually happening and that that meant that it was probably lost. So I complained. And O2 couldn't get hold of staff in their own store to investigate. And it went downhill from there!)

* pushing hard enough to make it "click" but not hard enough to make it register

Edited by xela (Sun 16-Oct-11 22:04:35)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sun 16-Oct-11 22:10:29
Print Post

Have heard of apple stores doing swap outs for original iPhone4 models

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User xela
(fountain of knowledge) Sun 16-Oct-11 22:16:00
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

cool. That's what I was hoping to hear really... I'm a good 50 miles from an apple store so don't really want a wasted trip :/
Standard User Kaoshan
(committed) Mon 17-Oct-11 06:47:14
Print Post

Best bet is to make an appointment at an Apple Genius Bar and seek their assistance. Be nice and positive and they may in turn swap your iPhone for a reconditioned unit. I've always found the staff in Apple stores to be extremely helpful.

Also, if you have an Apple id and have registered the iPhone with Apple that gets you bonus points!

I note, from another post, you are some distance from an Apple store... might be worth phoning to discuss though I find face to face works best.
Standard User Nahum
(member) Mon 17-Oct-11 09:30:08
Print Post

I don't know what part of the country you are in Xela, but I have had great service from:

www.ipatchonline.co.uk

who are based in Leeds. You can post them stuff, but they have done repairs for me while I waited. They charge:
Home button replacement - £40.00
Home button clean (sticky reponse but still functioning) - £20.00

I have no connection with the company -just a satisfied customer.
Standard User xela
(fountain of knowledge) Mon 17-Oct-11 09:34:35
Print Post

[re: Nahum] [link to this post]

Leeds is nearby. Someone had a recommended a local phone repair shop but I wanted it done free wink

Still, with the hassle factor and cost of fuel, maybe I'd be better off paying £40.
Standard User Guest_Again
(legend) Mon 17-Oct-11 10:48:08
Print Post

Yes, but Apple know their own products like no-one else - and it's free.

It would be worth it imho.

Standard User mrnelster
(fountain of knowledge) Sun 23-Oct-11 09:27:58
Print Post

[re: Guest_Again] [link to this post]

I dont know if this is still the case, but when I asked my local Apple Store if they sold iPhones second hand they said they did, but only to people out of warranty on their contract. A sort of look after Apple adopters approach rather than sell them to anybody walking in off the street.

I thought that was a good idea. My 3GS is out of warranty and the external speaker has packed up. Would be nice if I can replace it with a recon as it does me well for work. Then I can keep it as a spare when my contract renews with an iPhone 4. smile

I think the guy in the store said it was about a hundred quid or something. I might ring them today and see if that's still the position.

Knowing how it works is completely different to understanding how it works.

Live BQM

FTTC - Aquiss Business 45
37.7Mbps Downstream
8.45Mbps Upstream
7ms Ping
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to