Technical Discussion
  >> Apple Issues

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User xela
(fountain of knowledge) Sun 16-Oct-11 22:13:17
Print Post

iOS5 iMessage SMS fallback

[link to this post]

When will iMessage automatically revert to SMS? Specifically, I'm interested in situations where the recipient is not connected to a data network and I, the iMessage sender, do not know this. Does it revert to SMS in this instance? If so, when? Immediately? After a certain time? Does it require intervention at my end? etc
Standard User ukhardy07
(committed) Mon 17-Oct-11 00:06:46
Print Post

Re: iOS5 iMessage SMS fallback

[re: xela] [link to this post]

The recipient will be on a data network if they have any signal. Even on 2g and EDGE it will still work.

With iPod touches and iPads they will get the messages once on the wifi.

I do not know what happens after x amount of time
Standard User jchamier
(knowledge is power) Mon 17-Oct-11 08:44:51
Print Post

If you're sending from an iPhone you will find the send button and the name of the recipient is in *green* if its going via SMS, and in *blue* if its going via iMessage.

If you're sending from an iPod Touch, or iPad, then its blue for iMessage and *red* if the recipient isn't connected.

There is a slide option under Settings->Messages on the iPhone that lets you choose "send via SMS when iMessage unavailable" which I assume is when you start a message with data signal but move out of data signal - or the Apple servers are down.

James - be* pro - on THFB - sync about 17.2mbps - BQM

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User xela
(fountain of knowledge) Mon 17-Oct-11 09:31:55
Print Post

[re: jchamier] [link to this post]

Are we saying that, if it gets sent as an iMessage, it will never auto fallback to SMS?

Let's say one of my iphone-owning friends sells it and buys and android handset. Will my iMessages simply never get through? Do they have to tell me so I can manually disable iMessage for their number?
Standard User ian_c
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 17-Oct-11 09:46:30
Print Post

He seems to be saying the exact opposite. It will fall back, unless you tell it not to.

Standard User xela
(fountain of knowledge) Mon 17-Oct-11 09:54:31
Print Post

[re: ian_c] [link to this post]

I took it to mean that, if *I* am connected, all messages go via iMessage and are blue. If I'm not connected, it's SMS/green. Perhaps that was wrong? crazy
Standard User ian_c
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 17-Oct-11 10:00:20
Print Post

That would be absurd.

iMessage is there to give iDevice owners a free messaging system (with read receipts). It is integrated with SMS to gave a unified interface, but it will do the checking on "send" I should think.

I have happily texted a ...er.. LG I think...owner over the weekend with no issues.

Standard User xela
(fountain of knowledge) Mon 17-Oct-11 10:37:33
Print Post

[re: ian_c] [link to this post]

Oops, to clarify, if I am connected AND a recipient is known to be on iMessage, it goes via iMessage.

My question is, does "known to be on iMessage" mean the recipient has an active, current data connection? If they don't, will the iPhone send an iMessage or an SMS? Will it wait to deliver an iMessage for x minutes before falling back to SMS? Do I need to review the conversation to check it's been marked as 'delivered' and, if it hasn't, manually opt to send it as an SMS?
Standard User ian_c
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 17-Oct-11 10:54:20
Print Post

Oh, right.

Well the toggle preference says "Send an SMS when iMessage is unavailable".

Seems fairly clear to me - unless you decide otherwise: check if iMessage is there, if there send, else fall back to SMS.

Given the many other things that can delay SMS messages, any lag caused by this I would think be unnoticeable in ordinary use.

Standard User jchamier
(knowledge is power) Mon 17-Oct-11 21:02:28
Print Post

In reply to a post by xela:
My question is, does "known to be on iMessage" mean the recipient has an active, current data connection?

Crucially both the sending iDevice and the receiving iDevice have to be connected to Apple's iCloud servers over the internet for iMessage to work. If one is not the message will go as an SMS and show green on an iPhone. iPod Touch and iPad will show red and refuse to send.

Its like Blackberry messenger (BBM) and SMS in one app on the iPhone, and BBM on the iPod Touch and iPad.

(iPad's with 3G can't do normal SMS, but can use the 3G internet link for iMessage).

James - be* pro - on THFB - sync about 17.2mbps - BQM
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to