Technical Discussion
  >> Apple Issues

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User AEP
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 12-Nov-11 13:53:07
Print Post

Safari on iPad

[link to this post]

Is it just me, or has anyone else experienced regular crashing of Safari with iOS 5? I don't remember this with iOS 4, but now experience several crashes per day.

Another oddity is that now the back arrow almost always takes me back to an old cached version of a page rather than the version that was linked from. I don't remember this happening under 4. (I'm sure that I would have noticed as it really bugs me now!)
Standard User Cee_Jay
(newbie) Sat 12-Nov-11 14:55:23
Print Post

Re: Safari on iPad

[re: AEP] [link to this post]

Not noticed any problems with crashing, but certainly seen instances of the cached pages problem - usually versions of pages pre-iOS5 upgrade. Maybe it needs a full reset/restore to flush them out?

Chris
Standard User cookie
(fountain of knowledge) Sat 12-Nov-11 15:09:13
Print Post

lots of complaints about this on another forum i use. i usually use tapatalk for it so hadn't noticed. i found it crashed regularly when i tried safari.

loads of stuff about the issue on the apple discussion boards.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User AEP
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 12-Nov-11 15:54:09
Print Post

[re: cookie] [link to this post]

Thanks. I'll have a look there to see if anyone has suggested a fix. I did try Opera, but I don't like it so much on the iPad.
Standard User Kaoshan
(committed) Mon 14-Nov-11 06:48:18
Print Post

Not seen any problems with Safari on my iPad2 or iPhone 4S, both running IOS 5.01 and I use it regularly every day. I also use Atomic Web.
Standard User TLM
(legend) Thu 28-Nov-13 18:39:57
Print Post

This is ages ago, but did you ever get it sorted?

I'm still on an iPad 1, and have had the crashes ever since the upgrade, but think they're getting more frequent. As one commentator put it: "Like Windows, in the Win 98 era"

I've tried all the online tips I can find, including disabling functionality I never use, and removing unused applications. I don't think anything has improved it even temporarily.

Just about the only thing saving it from being scrapped is the ability still to listen to radio on iPlayer. For web-browsing, social media, or even checking e-mail, it's useful only to masochists now.

T.
Standard User AEP
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 28-Nov-13 18:54:50
Print Post

[re: TLM] [link to this post]

I'm afraid not; the crashes are now more frequent than other. There are some web pages that I just can't load. It appears to me a memory issue. I'm afraid the iPad 1 is now obsolete as far as Apple are concerned.

I still find mine useful for limited web browsing and reading eBooks, but it was a pretty expensive investment for the time it has lasted. I think better value is now available from Android devices.
Standard User TLM
(legend) Thu 28-Nov-13 19:06:12
Print Post

Completely agree that mine was disproportionately expensive for the length of time it was any good. I'll probably live with it until it finally gives up the ghost - not my main computer after all. But I don't think the replacement will be from Apple. Once bitten...
Standard User Sark
(legend) Thu 28-Nov-13 19:37:22
Print Post

[re: TLM] [link to this post]

Completely agree that mine was disproportionately expensive for the length of time it was any good.
I think that's just a pitfall of being an early adopter not something particular to Apple. A contemporary Android device would be similarly underpowered by today's standards.

I think the main advantage of an Apple device is the app support. I have a Nexus as well as an iPad and the difference between the apps even from the same developer is very noticeable. The Apple ecosystem is where the money is so developers put the effort into that first and foremost and then port to Android almost as an afterthought, if they do at all. On the other hand the Apple hardware itself is well overpriced compared to equivalents from other companies and an Android device is perfectly good for web browsing and email and such. Though I haven't used my Nexus since I got an iPad.

John.
Standard User AEP
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 28-Nov-13 20:43:20
Print Post

[re: Sark] [link to this post]

Well, I find the Google Apps rather more developed on the Nexus than the iPad. wink
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to