Technical Discussion
  >> Apple Issues

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Thu 17-Nov-11 23:21:52
Print Post

ios5 update

[link to this post]

Well updated phone, and I obviously wanted to spend a few hours finding out all my settings, passwords, and remembering pictures that fortunately were backed up onto a PC somewhere.

The update when it wanted to restore the phone back to previous settings was after a password, and none of my usual ones, and even old unused ones worked. Seems I am not alone, possibly the ios5 update when backing up the phone before uses some password that no-one can figure out. I had never set a password for backups before, as backups were on a machine that did not travel anywhere, and thus was happy enough with.

Well done Apple for one of the worst upgrades I've done in some years

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User nonymouse
(experienced) Fri 18-Nov-11 19:56:18
Print Post

Re: ios5 update

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Is that really something that has happened to lots of people?? I didn't put a password on back ups either and it just seemed to work.

It is mysterious, I grant you, that people with seemingly identical set ups, can have different experiences when upgrading.

I fear it will happen more and more...

I used to be confident about tinkering with a car engine... now with the advent of engine management systems, I don't even try...

So it is with computers, in the old system 6,7,8 days I would be able to tinker... but not any more...

Admittedly I don't add many things to my computers in terms of extra software or haxies and probably could still make do with a 68040 processor if it could download things at a reasonable rate smile

A

** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** **
8Mb Metronet,plusnet ~6.2Mbps at mo frown
Speedtouch 580
DualCore Intel Mac Mini (Leopard), G4 Dual 1GHz(Leopard): OSX 10.5.8; G3 PB (no screen), OSX 10.4, MacBook (Snow Leopard)10.6.6, iPhone4
iLive an iLifev.6iWorkv.3What does it all mean
Standard User mixt
(experienced) Fri 18-Nov-11 20:13:21
Print Post

Happened to me, and I agree with you 100% - Apple, it seems, for all their quality and genius, sometimes just ain't that damn bright.

If it helps you at all, I worked out what the password was. By some magical and still unfathomable reason, it decided to use my Gmail account password (which is the first email account I setup on the phone) as the password.

Try this, and other passwords you have set on the phone. Maybe one of them will work.

Now on <aaisp.net>
Previous ISPs: Virgin Media (50Mb/Cable), Be* Un Limited, ZeN
Is Linux routing your internet connection?
Need to make BIND geo-aware?

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User ian_c
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 18-Nov-11 22:36:46
Print Post

[re: mixt] [link to this post]

This is bizarre and suggests something amiss with your keychain.

Standard User ian_c
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 18-Nov-11 22:45:40
Print Post

Does this help?

https://discussions.apple.com/message/16342860#16342860

Seen it in two places.

Or this (a variant)_

https://discussions.apple.com/message/10081710#10081710

Edited by ian_c (Fri 18-Nov-11 22:49:53)

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sat 19-Nov-11 00:01:24
Print Post

[re: ian_c] [link to this post]

Not all of us are using an Apple to do the update, i.e. seems some things that work on a Apple OSX dont work on the PC.

will just curse and moan at phone for another few days, and go get an android tablet when tablet becomes irresistable

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User ian_c
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 19-Nov-11 00:27:12
Print Post

Not all of the posters on those threads are Mac users - and the common solution seems to be the first ever apple id password, or the first email account set up on the device. Smells of damaged keychain.

and go get an android tablet when tablet becomes irresistable

Which will then have its own set of problems (although on past form, an up-dateable OS won't be one of them).

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sat 19-Nov-11 00:37:06
Print Post

Had tried a wide variety of my passwords, given the number I have it is slower to go back over the last year or so than rebuild contacts et al

Most annoyed at the now warning about needing a password later, which has left me guessing phone numbers

Standard User ukhardy07
(committed) Sat 19-Nov-11 03:01:56
Print Post

I had the exact same issue, then I discovered all of my contacts had vanised, then I discovered my phone no longer vibrates.

Been quite disapointed with the update process which seems to go wrong in a lot of cases.

The new features are pretty nice though
Standard User AEP
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 19-Nov-11 09:03:28
Print Post

Which will then have its own set of problems (although on past form, an up-dateable OS won't be one of them).
What? Samsung release upgrades to Android on the Galaxy tab. And they even pull updates when there are unforeseen problems.

Android can even be installed on some tablets that didn't support it in the first place.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to