Technical Discussion
  >> Apple Issues

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User nonymouse
(experienced) Mon 28-Nov-11 21:36:26
Print Post

Mini doesn't like DVDs

[link to this post]

Firstly, I have done a STFW before asking this....

My Mini (1.6GHz Intel, Matshita UJ-846) spits out all DVDs...!!!

There are loads of posts all aver the place with others having the same problems... many report upgrading the firmware helping, unfortunately I can't find the right .dat file or flashing software that works with Leopard.

I have a suspicion that this is a software issue so just replacing the drive with an alternative won't make any difference.

Would re-installing just the DVD player software work? (e.g. by pulling it off the install discs with Pacifist?)

I suppose I could do a complete reinstall as it's just a media player...

Any other ideas gratefully received?

** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** **
8Mb Metronet,plusnet ~6.2Mbps at mo frown
Speedtouch 580
DualCore Intel Mac Mini (Leopard), G4 Dual 1GHz(Leopard): OSX 10.5.8; G3 PB (no screen), OSX 10.4, MacBook (Snow Leopard)10.6.6, iPhone4
iLive an iLifev.6iWorkv.3What does it all mean
Standard User goldenoldie
(knowledge is power) Mon 28-Nov-11 22:54:47
Print Post

Re: Mini doesn't like DVDs

[re: nonymouse] [link to this post]

you say you have the Matshita UJ-846 in your Mini

Somewhere there's a bell ringing about that - I've sort of got a memory that that was very fussy about the type of disks that could be used.

I'm probably wrong - but you never know

-------x-------x-------x-------x-------x-------x-------x-------x-------x-------x
If a thing ain't broke --- DON'T FIX IT
Experienced in making a mess of things smile
2 x MacBook Pro on OSX 10.6.8 ,Belkin N Wireless Router , [ sssh - and a PC wired lappy using XP Pro ] all on Virginmedia 20meg
Standard User ian_c
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 29-Nov-11 00:06:45
Print Post

The slot loaders on all Macs are a bit prone to that. My Rev A G4 mini went ages ago. Sometimes using one of those drive cleaners helps a bit, but not usually.

My mid-07 MBP had its optical drive changed about a month before Applecare expired (ie after nearly 3 years). Been good as gold ever since. By the time you've paid for the repair, tho' you could probably have bought a new machine.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User nonymouse
(experienced) Thu 01-Dec-11 22:09:15
Print Post

[re: ian_c] [link to this post]

I have heard that Pioneer are OK replacements...

Does anyone know if this will be OK???

TOSHIBA SAMSUNG TS-T632 8X DVD±RW 12.7mm Slot Loading IDE Drive

it does say it would be a replacement for a UJ-846 but doesn't mention Macs anywhere?

A

** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** **
8Mb Metronet,plusnet ~6.2Mbps at mo frown
Speedtouch 580
DualCore Intel Mac Mini (Leopard), G4 Dual 1GHz(Leopard): OSX 10.5.8; G3 PB (no screen), OSX 10.4, MacBook (Snow Leopard)10.6.6, iPhone4
iLive an iLifev.6iWorkv.3What does it all mean
Standard User ian_c
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 01-Dec-11 22:14:28
Print Post

Sorry, don't know. I guess if it fits the enclosure/ connectors then it should be OK, but wouldn't want to be quoted on that.

Have heard the Pioneer thing too, fwiw.

Print Thread

Jump to