Technical Discussion
  >> Apple Issues

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User nonymouse
(experienced) Tue 13-Dec-11 20:30:01
Print Post

WiFi Question

[link to this post]

Screenshot
This is the result from Kismet on the wifi networks around me...

The Top BT Hub, BTFON and BTO are me...

I note that 3 others are also on Channel 6.

I have had a couple of instances recently where the iTunes feed to my Airport express linked HiFi drops and wondered whether that was due to interference on the network...

Whenever I have tried to change the channel (to 1 yesterday) I lose the network completely and have to plug in via Ethernet and reboot the router...

a) if changing to Channel 1 IS sensible...

Can anyone give me step by step on what to do?

Ta

** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** **
8Mb Metronet,plusnet ~6.2Mbps at mo frown
Speedtouch 580
DualCore Intel Mac Mini (Leopard), G4 Dual 1GHz(Leopard): OSX 10.5.8; G3 PB (no screen), OSX 10.4, MacBook (Snow Leopard)10.6.6, iPhone4
iLive an iLifev.6iWorkv.3What does it all mean
Standard User mixt
(experienced) Tue 13-Dec-11 20:41:01
Print Post

Re: WiFi Question

[re: nonymouse] [link to this post]

Channels 1, 6 and 11 do not overlap.

Similarly, 2, 7 and 12 don't either.

And of course, 3, 8 and 13.

Channels 12 and 13 are not legal in the US, so that is why most kit tunes into 1, 6 and 11 only (this is exactly what I see with the wireless networks around me).

I would say your best bet is to try and put it on 13 if possible - there will be slight but minimal interference with networks using channels 11 and 12, but most times, it should be a nice clear channel to operate at as less wireless equipment in the 2.4Ghz band uses it (and when ever I have used this channel in the past, it performs well).

You can't per chance see the strength of these wireless networks around you? This would also aid in ruling out if they are interfering. I've had interference in the past caused from microwaves and all sorts of appliances, so take note if the drop outs are occurring at specific times of the day as it could be related to stuff like that. Trying different channels can again fix this (from experience).

Now on <aaisp.net>
Previous ISPs: Virgin Media (50Mb/Cable), Be* Un Limited, ZeN
Is Linux routing your internet connection?
Need to make BIND geo-aware?
Standard User nonymouse
(experienced) Tue 13-Dec-11 22:26:07
Print Post

Re: WiFi Question

[re: mixt] [link to this post]

Thanks, I'll have a go at Ch13

A

p.s. have sent a PM with link to full details on signals

** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** **
8Mb Metronet,plusnet ~6.2Mbps at mo frown
Speedtouch 580
DualCore Intel Mac Mini (Leopard), G4 Dual 1GHz(Leopard): OSX 10.5.8; G3 PB (no screen), OSX 10.4, MacBook (Snow Leopard)10.6.6, iPhone4
iLive an iLifev.6iWorkv.3What does it all mean

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread

Jump to