Technical Discussion
  >> Apple Issues

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User time2die
(knowledge is power) Thu 22-Dec-11 16:41:59
Print Post

Download speed issues Netgear.

[link to this post]

Hi people i have a download speed problem with my recently purchased Imac 27 inch..

Now i have 2 netgear routers just in case i get issues with one of them and i have the option to switch.

They are a DG834GT and a DG834N and at present i am using the older DG834GT.

i am with xilo which in most cases are excellent when it comes to speeds and my download speed runs at around 12 meg and is pretty stable and very good,but from time to time i am getting really bad download speeds and when i look at the settings within the imac in the network settings there is something which seems a little strange.

for starters when i am in the network settings and everything is working correctly the imac displays the Router ip as 192.168.0.1 which is correct and i know what my login for this is to check various settings.

But when on occasions like today and every few weeks i get 1 meg when doing and download test,when i open up the network settings i get a router ip of 192.168.1.1 which i can not login into.

Now after a little bit of powering down the router and and generally clicking this of and then back on again i have the following settings that work just fine and i get my download speeds back again.

Configure ipv4................Using DHCP
IP ADDRESS...................192.168.0.4
SUBNET MASK ..............255.255.255.0
ROUTER...........192.168.0.1
DNS SERVER ....192.168.0.1
SEARCH DOMAINS .........BLANK

Now when the above says what it is then everything fine but i can turn this Mac on tomorrow to be greeted with poor download speeds and when i look at the settings i am getting others that have changed like the router will say 192.168.1.1

The Dns will be another long number which i can not remember and in search domains it says something like WAG60N What the hell is this and what is going on here.

Anybody got any advice i would be grateful but i know as soon as this netgear router displays anything but 192.168.0.1 then i have major speed issues.
Standard User TheHorseman
(knowledge is power) Thu 22-Dec-11 18:37:40
Print Post

Re: Download speed issues Netgear.

[re: time2die] [link to this post]

Are you using the iMac wirelessly? If so could it be finding another wireless network nearby instead of your own?

Eta: the wag60n is a linksys router.

BT -> Zen -> F2S -> Bulldog -> Be* -> BT Infinity
Say it with flowers, give her a Triffid smile

Edited by TheHorseman (Thu 22-Dec-11 18:40:54)

Standard User AEP
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 22-Dec-11 20:14:58
Print Post

[re: TheHorseman] [link to this post]

An easy way to check that would be to turn off the netgear router. Why the computer should pick up the weaker signal is a mystery.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User AlanH
(knowledge is power) Thu 22-Dec-11 21:40:18
Print Post

[re: AEP] [link to this post]

I assume you are connecting wirelessly. When it is displaying the 192.168.0.1 router address, just tell your Mac not to ask to connect to other networks. It's a checkbox in System Preferences -> Network just under the Network Name popup.

Your Mac is a desktop, so no problems. If it was a laptop and you wanted to be able to connect to other networks when you are out and about, you could create a second Location, call it "Roaming", and enable that checkbox for that Location. Then switch between the Locations depending whether you are at home or away.

Alan
Demon since forever, HomeOffice MaxDSL since 2006 via Netgear DG834G router
Mac Pro 2.66GHz 8GBytes / MBP 13" - Snow Leopard plus Centos4 & XP Pro in Parallels

Edited by AlanH (Thu 22-Dec-11 21:41:03)

Standard User time2die
(knowledge is power) Fri 23-Dec-11 08:07:29
Print Post

[re: AlanH] [link to this post]

Thanks guys for the help and i do have wi-fi switched off.this morning again when i switched the Mac on all the setting had changed again and i could not connect to safari.

Looked at the settings and they had all changed to the problem ones with a netgear ip of 192.168.1.1 and this domain said wag60n again.

After doing a assist me and checking network settings and rebooting it went back to the correct settings.seems to work fine when they say this.

Ip 192.168.0.1
dns 192.168.0.1

search domains Blank

When i have issues all the above have changed.
Standard User AlanH
(knowledge is power) Fri 23-Dec-11 10:58:38
Print Post

[re: time2die] [link to this post]

You seem to be getting address details from a router you don't own. If you have switched off WiFI, is there any other way your iMac could be connected to someone else's network? Are you sharing your ethernet cable with anyone else? Are you using mains cabling to distribute your network? Are you sure you don't have another old router still connected?

Alan
Demon since forever, HomeOffice MaxDSL since 2006 via Netgear DG834G router
Mac Pro 2.66GHz 8GBytes / MBP 13" - Snow Leopard plus Centos4 & XP Pro in Parallels
Standard User time2die
(knowledge is power) Fri 23-Dec-11 14:52:57
Print Post

[re: AlanH] [link to this post]

Its fine this morning and displaying what it should but another time its all over the place displaying all sorts of things that do not relate to the correct settings.

What i have is a Imac 27inch connected through a ethernet connection directly to the netgear router which is either the dg834n or the dg834gt which i am using at present.

Obviously the router has a wireless network so my girlfriend can work on here laptop and use our iphones and ipads around the house,apart from that i have a homeplug connected to the router and another downstairs behind the television that connects my playstation 3 and 360 consoles.

I have wireless turned of on the mac and at the moment things seem stable but in a couple of hours i will turn this mac on and wireless will have normally turned itself on and all my dns and router settings would have changed.

Seems that when it says 192.168.0.1 then everything fine but then i get 192.168.1.1 and some other nonsense,anyway i have emailed netgear support about this and thanks very much for taking time out to try and help.

Think you are right with it trying to connect to another network because in the domain when its all going wrong and my download speeds are reduced considerably i get this WAG60N or something which is a linsky router when i search google.
  Print Thread

Jump to