Technical Discussion
  >> Apple Issues

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User time2die
(knowledge is power) Thu 22-Dec-11 16:53:08
Print Post

Upgrading firmware on Apple imac Netgear.

[link to this post]

Hi i am used to upgrading firmware on a windows PC in the past for various firmware versions of a netgear router,pretty basic you download the zip file and then just upload it as a zip file into the correct upgrade section of the router.

However these firmware versions on a imac come down as a img file and when i upload and try and do a upgrade it does not work.

Am i missing something here and do i have to do something to the file to turn it into a zip file or whatever,do i need another extracting program or what as i am in the dark as to how to upgrade both my netgear routers using a Imac.
Standard User linuxkid
(newbie) Thu 22-Dec-11 18:33:45
Print Post

Re: Upgrading firmware on Apple imac Netgear.

[re: time2die] [link to this post]

Mac is not my thing but......IMG files are similar to .ISO files and can be burnt to their correct disk format by most burning software
Standard User AEP
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 22-Dec-11 20:12:55
Print Post

That sounds like a disk image file. Double-click on it and it should appear as a mounted disk. The firmware is probably on that disk.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 22-Dec-11 20:48:24
Print Post

From the Netgear site, it's a .IMG file, not zipped. You just d/load it your PC. Does not matter what type of PC it is; it is just stored there but not processed.

You then use the Web i/f of the router to do Maintenance => Router Upgrade and from there Browse to where you stored it on PC. It is then actually processed by the router's processor, not that of the PC.

You did obtain the firmware from the pukka Netware site? It will work from there on any PC.

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 19 Meg WBC
Standard User AlanH
(knowledge is power) Thu 22-Dec-11 21:32:20
Print Post

[re: XRaySpeX] [link to this post]

To avoid any misunderstandings:

.img files are NOT disk images *. As stated above, in this case they are just compressed images of the Netgear operating software. You download the image file to your Mac, then install it onto the Netgear router using the router's web interface - typically at the url: http://192.168.0.1/. You can do this using Safari or Firefox or any other web browser you want to run on your Mac.

Log in as "admin". If you haven't changed the password (you should, you know!), it will still be the default one listed on the router's label.

Click "Upgrade Router" in the left hand column, and select the .img file you downloaded.

* .dmg files are disk images on a Mac.

Alan
Demon since forever, HomeOffice MaxDSL since 2006 via Netgear DG834G router
Mac Pro 2.66GHz 8GBytes / MBP 13" - Snow Leopard plus Centos4 & XP Pro in Parallels
Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 22-Dec-11 21:44:21
Print Post

[re: AlanH] [link to this post]

Parrot!
In reply to a post by AlanH:
To avoid any misunderstandings:
.img files are NOT disk images
I never implied they were! You must have the misunderstandings:

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 19 Meg WBC
Standard User AEP
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 22-Dec-11 22:00:40
Print Post

[re: AlanH] [link to this post]

.img files are NOT disk images
That's news to me, and to Apple. .img files may not be disk images, but they also may be.* As the OP stated that he had tried uploading the image file to the router, and it did not work, I was suggesting alternative possibilities. It's not that difficult to at least test the possibility.

* It's true that disk images are often .dmg files, more often than .img, but that is not exclusive. Apple know best. wink
Standard User AEP
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 22-Dec-11 22:01:53
Print Post

I guess Alan replied to the wrong post. But, in any case, he was completely wrong to state that .img files could not be disk images.
Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 22-Dec-11 22:13:30
Print Post

[re: AEP] [link to this post]

It's irrelevant! The .IMG files supplied by Netgear are solely intended to be processed by their routers via any PC.

Edited by XRaySpeX (Thu 22-Dec-11 22:14:28)

Moderator billford
(moderator) Thu 22-Dec-11 22:21:06
Print Post

In reply to a post by XRaySpeX:
via any PC.
I think you may be (unintentionally) confusing the issue...

"PC" implies what used to be known as a an "IBM-compatible" and doesn't include Macs. Any computer with an Ethernet port and a browser should be able to update the firmware on a router, from a hacked ZX81 to a Cray!!!

~~~~~~~~~~~~
Bill

bill@thinkbroadband.com __________________Planes and Boats and ... __________________BQM
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband moderator but it does not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to