Technical Discussion
  >> Apple Issues

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User biffs
(member) Tue 10-Jan-12 12:35:37
Print Post

extending wifi range ...

[link to this post]

We've just moved house and had a Virginmedia 30MB hub installed, which works beautifully with super fast wifi everywhere in the house except the one place in our office where my wife has her iMac. The office has lots of kit and filing cabinets etc. It's too late to have the hub moved as it's fully wired in, and our office is purpose built and can't be re-modelled!!. Is it possible to add some kind of repeater to pick up the signal where it is strong and re-transmit across the room? .. or somehow extend the wifi antenna of the iMac across to the stronger signal?

Thanks

Bill
Standard User Kaoshan
(committed) Tue 10-Jan-12 13:00:38
Print Post

Re: extending wifi range ...

[re: biffs] [link to this post]

I tried using a Range Extender for similar reasons to yourself and it did not work well. Actually, I tried a couple of different extenders to no avail, returning for refunds.

I eventually went for a more reliable (expensive) Apple solution which works very well. I have a D-Link Wireless router which covers about 65% of my house, a 1930's stone built bungalow.

I have an Airport Extreme connected by a short run of CAT5 cable to the router which extends the wireless coverage to around 90%. To get the missing 10% I've added an Airport Express which wirelessly connects to the Airport Extreme and allows me to use my iPhones and iPads anywhere in the house. Another possibility is to use an Apple Time Capsule which as well as giving you backup capability for your iMac will also extend your wireless capability. Again, it has to be wired to the router which may not be suitable in your case.
Standard User AEP
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 10-Jan-12 13:16:42
Print Post

You might like to consider using mains ethernet adapters. This might prove to be cheaper, and more reliable, than other solutions.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User nonymouse
(experienced) Tue 10-Jan-12 19:11:37
Print Post

Agree with AEP re Powerline adapters.

A

** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** **
8Mb Metronet,plusnet ~6.2Mbps at mo frown
Speedtouch 580
DualCore Intel Mac Mini (Leopard), G4 Dual 1GHz(Leopard): OSX 10.5.8; G3 PB (no screen), OSX 10.4, MacBook (Snow Leopard)10.6.6, iPhone4
iLive an iLifev.6iWorkv.3What does it all mean
Standard User jchamier
(knowledge is power) Tue 10-Jan-12 20:16:06
Print Post

[re: AEP] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by AEP:
You might like to consider using mains ethernet adapters. This might prove to be cheaper, and more reliable, than other solutions.

Seconded - especially as its an iMac which is likely to be put in one place and not move frequently. (unlike a Macbook).

James - be* pro - on THFB - sync about 17.2mbps - BQM
Standard User biffs
(member) Wed 11-Jan-12 21:43:30
Print Post

[re: jchamier] [link to this post]

Thanks all for this help..

Have now purchased the power line system as suggested and will install this weekend. Very grateful.

Bill
Standard User Kaoshan
(committed) Wed 11-Jan-12 22:39:14
Print Post

In reply to a post by biffs:
Thanks all for this help..

Have now purchased the power line system as suggested and will install this weekend. Very grateful.

Unfortunately Power Line extenders did not work for me. Too much interference from other 'noisy' devices. Probably low wattage bulbs but not convinced. Returned for refund.
Standard User TheHorseman
(knowledge is power) Thu 12-Jan-12 15:01:54
Print Post

[re: Kaoshan] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Kaoshan:
Unfortunately Power Line extenders did not work for me. Too much interference from other 'noisy' devices. Probably low wattage bulbs but not convinced. Returned for refund.

They worked for me (Devolo 200Mbps) until I got FTTC and then I found that despite connecting to each other at 100Mbps the throughput topped out at 29-30Mbps. So they got replaced by an ethernet cable, it was much cheaper than 500Mbps/1Gbps homeplugs.

BT -> Zen -> F2S -> Bulldog -> Be* -> BT Infinity
Say it with flowers, give her a Triffid smile
Standard User biffs
(member) Fri 13-Jan-12 18:11:19
Print Post

[re: TheHorseman] [link to this post]

Thanks all,

I've just installed them, and must admit that yes, they are disappointing … we're still getting only 10Mbps from what should be a 30Mbps connection - which is available wirelessly just next door. I really don't want to have to install a full wire all the way upstairs, but may have to seriously consider doing that if it proves to be the only solution.

Bill
Standard User biffs
(member) Mon 23-Jan-12 10:07:13
Print Post

In reply to a post by biffs:
I really don't want to have to install a full wire all the way upstairs, but may have to seriously consider doing that if it proves to be the only solution.

Just for completion - I did finally move the router to a different corner of the room, into a better direct line to the iMac, and avoiding the filing cabinet. It took some doing but was a better solution than a full hard wiring exercise. Perfect connection at top of range now - solid. So I now have a set of power line connectors going spare - but will retain them just for if….

Thanks for help and guidance.

Bill
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to