Technical Discussion
  >> Apple Issues

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User Spasch
(fountain of knowledge) Mon 30-Jan-12 20:47:48
Print Post

iPhone 30 Pin Audio with IPod controls

[link to this post]

I've hunted high and low and come up with nothing. frown

I currently have one of these for playing music while I drive (iPhone is mounted on the windscreen for TomTom). However, it's not ideal as there is no iPod type inline control, meaning I can't skip tracks unless I lean forward and do it on the phone, which is annoying (not to mention dangerous).

So, anyone know if such a product exists (it can't be too much of a leap as my Marshall Minor earbuds have the inline control).

TIA
Standard User Desmond
(sensei) Mon 30-Jan-12 23:30:29
Print Post

Re: iPhone 30 Pin Audio with IPod controls

[re: Spasch] [link to this post]

Belkin, Griffin and iLuv all make inline remotes that fit between the audio output on an iphone/pod and whatever you are connecting to it that perform the same volume up/down, play/pause and forward/back functions that the remote on the iphone headphones can. I have an iLuv one myself. The Griffin one even includes an FM radio.

Des

The original 32 bit junkie now snorting pure 64. Sky Broadband, Wired, Wireless, VoIP, 2 Macs, 2.5 Hackintoshes, 3.5 PCs, iPhone, OS X, Windows XP, Windows 7, Ubuntu.

Rehab is for quitters
Standard User Spasch
(fountain of knowledge) Tue 31-Jan-12 09:03:58
Print Post

[re: Desmond] [link to this post]

Thanks, but did you look at the link I posted? I know I can get a standard audio jack with inline controls, but the audio is seriously muted in comparison to what comes out of the 30 pin dock connector. The iTrip Dual Connect comes closest, but the music controls are on the power brick which is just as far away as the iPhone when in the car.

I am after a cable which will power the phone and play music with inline controls all from the 30 pin dock connector.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Desmond
(sensei) Tue 31-Jan-12 21:58:21
Print Post

So it's something like this or maybe even especially this you are after?

Des

The original 32 bit junkie now snorting pure 64. Sky Broadband, Wired, Wireless, VoIP, 2 Macs, 2.5 Hackintoshes, 3.5 PCs, iPhone, OS X, Windows XP, Windows 7, Ubuntu.

Rehab is for quitters
Standard User Spasch
(fountain of knowledge) Tue 31-Jan-12 22:31:46
Print Post

Thanks, but the issue with those is they don't power the phone at the same time (TomTom is a massive battery drain).

In the mean time, I've bought one of these - well, a refurb unit from eBay for £6 to try out on the audio line of the existing cable, or failing that the audio jack of the phone with another audio cable smile
Standard User Desmond
(sensei) Tue 31-Jan-12 23:20:26
Print Post

There really is a bewildering array of kit from cheap as chips as you have bought (my first suggestion type) to things like this, which I think ticks all your boxes and more (line out, charging and wireless remote).

Griffin do what look like the widest range. Please bear in mind that while Griffin follow the rules not all the kit out there (including most of the non Apple chargers and USB cables you'll find online) is in any way licensed by Apple for use with their dock connector. Using them may well void any warrantly you have on the iphone or whatever you connect it to.

Des

Rehab is for quitters
Standard User Spasch
(fountain of knowledge) Wed 01-Feb-12 13:10:16
Print Post

In reply to a post by Desmond:
There really is a bewildering array of kit from cheap as chips as you have bought (my first suggestion type) to things like this, which I think ticks all your boxes and more (line out, charging and wireless remote).
It does seem to, but that will place the phone too low (I have a VW Sharan & the dash is pretty high up), unfortunately. The unit I bought might not do what I want it to (that is sit between the radio and the audio cable that comes out of the 30 pin connector). I am also trying to avoid having a cable coming out of the iPhone audio jack. Picky or what? laugh
In reply to a post by Desmond:
Griffin do what look like the widest range. Please bear in mind that while Griffin follow the rules not all the kit out there (including most of the non Apple chargers and USB cables you'll find online) is in any way licensed by Apple for use with their dock connector. Using them may well void any warrantly you have on the iphone or whatever you connect it to.
Yeah, I am a little wary, it must be said. smile
Standard User jchamier
(knowledge is power) Wed 01-Feb-12 22:53:06
Print Post

In reply to a post by Spasch:
It does seem to, but that will place the phone too low (I have a VW Sharan & the dash is pretty high up), unfortunately. The unit I bought might not do what I want it to (that is sit between the radio and the audio cable that comes out of the 30 pin connector). I am also trying to avoid having a cable coming out of the iPhone audio jack. Picky or what? laugh

I appreciate your issue - I use TomTom on my iPhone, and I have the TomTom iPhone stand, which gives me a line out connector on the side of the stand that I plug into my line-in on the car stereo.

But it would be useful to have a way to skip tracks / pause that was easy to reach.

Please post if that Belkin adaptor works in the headphone socket.

My car has a sloping windscreen, so like any sat nav, the unit is out of reach when driving frown

James - be* pro - on THFB - sync about 17.2mbps - BQM
Standard User Spasch
(fountain of knowledge) Thu 02-Feb-12 08:52:58
Print Post

[re: jchamier] [link to this post]

Will do - I'm back home tomorrow night and the adaptor should be there, so I'll give it a test on Saturday and post the results..
Standard User Spasch
(fountain of knowledge) Sat 04-Feb-12 11:53:29
Print Post

[re: jchamier] [link to this post]

Unfortunately, it doesn't work. It doesn't even work with a standard 3.5mm male/male cable from the iPhone headphone jack. It works if I plug headphones in. Not sure if it would work with a more modern audio cable as the one I tried is pretty old.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to