Technical Discussion
  >> Apple Issues

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User nonymouse
(experienced) Sat 04-Feb-12 22:19:05
Print Post

Networking for idiots!

[link to this post]

Can anyone talk me through connecting to another computer on my network.

In house is a BT INfinity Router to which is connected lappy (wirelessly 192.168.1.65) and TP-Link Powerline adapter (wired 192.168.1.73)

Connected to the other end of the Powerline adapter is an Asante router and to that another Mac which gets IP address (192.168.123.146).

2nd Mac doesn't show up by Bonjour nor can I connect to it with any of the above addresses.

Is there something 'obvious' that I am missing?

Or is it altogether more complicated?

A

** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** **
8Mb Metronet,plusnet ~6.2Mbps at mo frown
Speedtouch 580
DualCore Intel Mac Mini (Leopard), G4 Dual 1GHz(Leopard): OSX 10.5.8; G3 PB (no screen), OSX 10.4, MacBook (Snow Leopard)10.6.6, iPhone4
iLive an iLifev.6iWorkv.3What does it all mean
Standard User john2007
(legend) Sat 04-Feb-12 22:54:22
Print Post

Re: Networking for idiots!

[re: nonymouse] [link to this post]

Try setting the other Mac's address in the same range, e.g. 192.168.1.X rather than 192.168.123.X. They may well be different networks as far as your hardware is configured.
Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Sat 04-Feb-12 23:35:23
Print Post

[re: john2007] [link to this post]

Sounds like the Asante router is running a DHCP server handing out IP addresses as well as the HH3. You are only supposed to have one DHCP server on a network, you should disable it on the Asante router.

______________________________________________________________________________. __________________

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User john2007
(legend) Sun 05-Feb-12 12:53:41
Print Post

[re: BatBoy] [link to this post]

Yes.

I suppose it may be simplest to manually assign IP addresses to the Asante router and second Mac. E.g. 192.168.1.100 for the router and 192.168.1.101 for the second Mac.
Standard User AEP
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 05-Feb-12 13:23:48
Print Post

[re: john2007] [link to this post]

Why two routers anyway?
Standard User TheHorseman
(knowledge is power) Sun 05-Feb-12 13:24:59
Print Post

Surely all that was needed was an ethernet switch instead of the Asante router?

ETA: and that is only if you wanted to connect more than one device at the other end, otherwise the PC could have been connected directly to the home plug unit.

BT -> Zen -> F2S -> Bulldog -> Be* -> BT Infinity
Say it with flowers, give her a Triffid smile

Edited by TheHorseman (Sun 05-Feb-12 13:27:39)

Standard User AEP
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 05-Feb-12 13:29:03
Print Post

[re: TheHorseman] [link to this post]

I guess if you've got a spare router you can use it as a switch. But, as this thread shows, you have to be careful how you connect and configure it. With switches the price they are it hardly seems to be worth the effort.
Standard User 5km
(knowledge is power) Sun 05-Feb-12 14:18:27
Print Post

You're not meant to use 2 routers ... however it can work.

What you need to do is turn off DHCP on the second router and set the 2nd routers LAN side IP to within the 192.168.1.0/24 range. The IP must be in the same /24 range and not one that could be given out by DHCP. (or you could let it get an IP from the home hub) Then don't use the internet port (WAN port) but instead connect the Ethernet cable from the powerline adaptor to one of the LAN ports on the 2nd router.

This type of setup works but is not what a router is designed to do.

A 'better' set-up would be to get a powerline adapter with a built in wireless access point.

O2 Broadband Premium LLU
Now on twitter @timmay2
Standard User nonymouse
(experienced) Sun 05-Feb-12 16:06:58
Print Post

[re: AEP] [link to this post]

Because I had it!!!

I had it when I has a separate DSL modem quite some time ago...

** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** **
Speedtouch 580
DualCore Intel Mac Mini (Leopard), G4 Dual 1GHz(Leopard): OSX 10.5.8; G3 PB (no screen), OSX 10.4, MacBook (Snow Leopard)10.6.6, iPhone4
Standard User nonymouse
(experienced) Sun 05-Feb-12 16:11:15
Print Post

[re: TheHorseman] [link to this post]

Exactly...

The far end of the powerline adapter is in the Garden Office and as well as having a venerable Mac Dual G4, it will also need to connect my work Lappy when working from home. I know that's only 2 machines and even a 4 port switch is overkill.

Speedtouch 580
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to