Technical Discussion
  >> Apple Issues

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User ConorMK
(knowledge is power) Sat 25-Feb-12 11:55:54
Print Post

reinstall or repair?

[link to this post]

I have been having ongoing issues with the network settings onmy iMac and its getting the point where it is annoying to use my mac.

I have tried deleting and readding both wireless and wired settings and I still cannot get pages to load properly. I have had my Mac for about 2 and a half years and is probably due s reinstall to clear out all the unwanted junk.

Has anyone got tips on how to either sort my network issues or reinstall my system?

Conor

There is absolutely no substitute for a genuine lack of preparation
BQM
My Broadband Speed Test
Standard User Desmond
(sensei) Sat 25-Feb-12 12:16:16
Print Post

Re: reinstall or repair?

[re: ConorMK] [link to this post]

Pages not loading properly may have nothing to do with your network prefs. See below for the things I'd try

1. You have tried resetting your router to defaults and then reconfiguring (if needed) and seeing if that resolves things?

2. You have tried resetting Safari or os this an issue that affects all browsers?

3. Have you tried creating a new user account on your Mac to see if that account is affected in the same way as your existing one?

4. Have you tried using Google's DNS server (8.8.8.8 & 8.8.4.4) or your ISPs ones if you know them?

5. When deleting the prefs did you remove the files to be found in Root/Library/Preferences/System Configuration ? (JUST THE NETWORK ONES AND MAKE A BACK UP COPY OF THE FOLDER FIRST) Your Mac should redetect the ports on the next reboot and allow you to configure from scratch.

Des

The original 32 bit junkie now snorting pure 64. Sky Broadband, Wired, Wireless, VoIP, 2 Macs, 2.5 Hackintoshes, 3.5 PCs, iPhone, OS X, Windows XP, Windows 7, Ubuntu.

Rehab is for quitters
Standard User ConorMK
(knowledge is power) Wed 14-Mar-12 18:58:13
Print Post

[re: Desmond] [link to this post]

Hi Des,

Im still having intermittent issues with my Mac. There are no issues with any of the Doze machines in the house.
1 Haven't tried a reset yet.
2 All browsers, Safari, FF, Opera are affected
3 Second account does the same
4 have changed to Google DNS but no difference.
5 tried this but again no difference.

Conor

BQM
My Broadband Speed Test

Edited by ConorMK (Wed 14-Mar-12 19:00:10)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Desmond
(sensei) Sat 17-Mar-12 18:21:06
Print Post

[re: ConorMK] [link to this post]

Might be time to try a reinstall. Bit of a pain, though frown

Des

The original 32 bit junkie now snorting pure 64. Sky Broadband, Wired, Wireless, VoIP, 2 Macs, 2.5 Hackintoshes, 3.5 PCs, iPhone, OS X, Windows XP, Windows 7, Ubuntu.

Rehab is for quitters
Standard User ConorMK
(knowledge is power) Fri 30-Mar-12 21:25:26
Print Post

[re: Desmond] [link to this post]

Ok, this weekend I will be reinstalling my iMac to try and sort the network issues i have been having. I have time machine running all the time. I have a 2TB drive that took the first back up about Feb last year after the initial drive I had failed.

Do i need to do anything else before I take the plunge and insert the OSX disk in?

Conor

BQM
  Print Thread

Jump to