Technical Discussion
  >> Apple Issues

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User micksharpe
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 26-Feb-12 10:57:01
Print Post

Keyboard compatibility

[link to this post]

After many years spent using Windows, I am switching to OS X for software development. One thing that concerns me is keyboard compatibility, especially as I will be running Windows in a VM. Does anyone have any advice to give? Will a US keyboard layout provide maximum compatibility?

______________________________________________________________________________________________
Beer is a by-product of the Marmite production process
It Ought to be Easy | Greasemonkey scripts
Standard User Kaoshan
(committed) Sun 26-Feb-12 11:04:04
Print Post

Re: Keyboard compatibility

[re: micksharpe] [link to this post]

I run Windows 7 under Parallels on an iMac with a standard UK keyboard with no problems. Likewise on a MacBook Pro with it's onboard UK keyboard.

Why do you think a US keyboard would offer better compatibility?
Standard User micksharpe
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 26-Feb-12 11:20:58
Print Post

[re: Kaoshan] [link to this post]

I've just bought a MacBook Pro and I don't like the keyboard layout. Also, the Carriage Return key is very thin and easy to miss. Detailed images of Apple keyboards that I can find seem to show that US layouts are very similar to Windows layouts. Since I will be doing a lot of software development, I need easy access to the full ASCII character set, so I don't mind forgoing the £ symbol if using the US layout will provide this. Also, I've read that the US layout has a "full size" CR key (with no cut-away). That would be a real boon.

______________________________________________________________________________________________

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Kaoshan
(committed) Sun 26-Feb-12 11:29:54
Print Post

You may find this link on the Apple Support Communities interesting.

If I am doing a lot of key entry on my MBP I use the Apple bluetooth keyboard from another iMac.
Standard User micksharpe
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 26-Feb-12 11:38:50
Print Post

[re: Kaoshan] [link to this post]

Those layouts are very much out of date. The 2011 layouts are very different from the 2009 layouts. I'm thinking of getting an iMac instead of a MacBook so that I can experiment with various keyboards and maybe find one that I like.

Standard User jchamier
(knowledge is power) Tue 28-Feb-12 20:29:00
Print Post

In reply to a post by micksharpe:
I've just bought a MacBook Pro and I don't like the keyboard layout. Also, the Carriage Return key is very thin and easy to miss. Detailed images of Apple keyboards that I can find seem to show that US layouts are very similar to Windows layouts. Since I will be doing a lot of software development, I need easy access to the full ASCII character set, so I don't mind forgoing the £ symbol if using the US layout will provide this. Also, I've read that the US layout has a "full size" CR key (with no cut-away). That would be a real boon.

Apple have a picture here (on the UK site sadly) of the US keyboard layout with the thin enter/CR key:
http://images.apple.com/euro/macbookpro/images/overv...

It seems the US layout has more words (e.g. Delete written out, whereas UK has an arrow).

Apple bluetooth UK keyboard:
http://store.apple.com/uk/product/MC184B/B

Apple bluetooth US keyboard:
http://store.apple.com/us/product/MC184LL/B

Note the product code.

UK keyboard at play (you can zoom picture)
http://www.play.com/PC/PCs/4-/12505629/Apple-MC184B-...

You can find the US keyboard on Google image search using MC184LL .

James - be* pro - on THFB - sync about 17.2mbps - BQM
Standard User micksharpe
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 28-Feb-12 20:36:08
Print Post

[re: jchamier] [link to this post]

Thanks for that. It looks like a US keyboard would be more suitable for my purposes. I have decided to stick with Windows for the time being but I shall keep an eye on Apple's keyboard designs.

Print Thread

Jump to