Technical Discussion
  >> Apple Issues

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User NuttyMucker
(member) Tue 27-Mar-12 21:19:20
Print Post

New Toy :)

[link to this post]

Hi,

Just wanted to share details of my new toy. Always been a window person along with android on the phone things but got a 4S iPhone in January and love it.

Got me looking at the Apple store and took the plunge with a Macbook Pro which I received yesterday. Went a bit mad and have the 2.4 i7 quadcore with 8GB ram and a 500GB solid state drive (£800 extra)

Overall very pleased but just getting used to trackpad but some of the moves with this are fantastic and if I really get into it might even consider buying an iMac to replace the main windows machine.

When I opened the box it filled me with excitement the way it was packaged.

Have yet to do much with it still in its learning stage but very very pleased and I am sorry I ridiculed all Mac users in the past smile

Standard User jchamier
(knowledge is power) Tue 27-Mar-12 23:26:47
Print Post

Re: New Toy :)

[re: NuttyMucker] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by NuttyMucker:
Got me looking at the Apple store and took the plunge with a Macbook Pro which I received yesterday. Went a bit mad and have the 2.4 i7 quadcore with 8GB ram and a 500GB solid state drive (£800 extra)

Welcome. I have the early-2011 15" MBP quad core i7 with 256GB SSD smile

James - be* pro - on THFB - sync about 17.2mbps - BQM
Standard User Zadeks
(committed) Tue 27-Mar-12 23:45:44
Print Post

Always buy aftermarket RAM & SSD unless you're minted.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User AEP
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 28-Mar-12 07:10:40
Print Post

[re: Zadeks] [link to this post]

True; Apple charge about 8 times as much for RAM as firms like Crucial and Kingston.

For example, Apple charge £160 for the extra 4GB in that model; Crucial will sell you 8GB for £35.

Edited by AEP (Wed 28-Mar-12 08:25:24)

Standard User Guest_Again
(legend) Fri 30-Mar-12 13:53:06
Print Post

Welcome, and congrats on your wisdom. wink

Bought a new Bose bt rhs for my iPhone 4S yesterday - it is better than the other one that I had purchased for it (Jabra). It does a far more admirable job in comparison.

Standard User jchamier
(knowledge is power) Tue 03-Apr-12 22:00:04
Print Post

[re: AEP] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by AEP:
True; Apple charge about 8 times as much for RAM as firms like Crucial and Kingston.

For example, Apple charge £160 for the extra 4GB in that model; Crucial will sell you 8GB for £35.

Agree on RAM completely.

With SSD's only the Apple ones support TRIM in OS X Lion which is very annoying, as TRIM is still the best way to reclaim used space and keep performance. That set OWC's Mercury range are the ones I'd go for otherwise (www.macsales.com)

James - be* pro - on THFB - sync about 17.2mbps - BQM
Standard User radiomarko
(experienced) Thu 05-Apr-12 21:40:08
Print Post

Welcome Nutty, mind te' Trojan when thee comes in!

-.-. --.-
BT ADSL2+, 2Wire, online since 1987. Macs since 1979. Dreambox fun. Advanced Radio Amateur Licence and an anorak.
Standard User Guest_Again
(legend) Fri 13-Apr-12 17:55:02
Print Post

Welcome from me too, Nutter. wink

There is an excellent source of much wisdom and cleverness to be found here. Yes, they have proven themselves to be in-valuable. grin

Oh, and Hi again folk! laugh

Standard User xela
(fountain of knowledge) Fri 20-Apr-12 23:06:59
Print Post

Apple's trackpad is fantastic - I love it
Standard User SPOOKish
(fountain of knowledge) Sat 21-Apr-12 16:30:30
Print Post

SSDs for Mac - Hybrid alternative

[re: jchamier] [link to this post]

You can enable TRIM support for third party SSDs in OSX Lion. There's a tech route and a utility called TRIM Enabler to do it all for you.

It's not completely without risk though and many SSDs have inbuilt 'garbage collection' regimes to wipe cells clear again (after deletion) so they're free to be written to without being erased first when normal write operations are called up by the OS. Tradtitionally, magnetic storage drives don't actually erase the cells on deletion but flag them for rewriting but that doesn't help SSDs at all.

An SSD is obviously the nicest solution but not exactly the best economically, especially if you consider they are said to not be as long lasting as standard hard disk drives. They have a higher failure rate apparently as the flash cells wear out over time. They are improving but are still somewhat behind traditional hard disk platter based drives.

A good compromise in improving general disk performance without breaking the bank or worrying about TRIM, is to buy a hybrid drive. Seagate appear to be the only manufacturer incorporating SLC NAND flash based storage into standard magnetic based 2.5" laptop sized hard drives. At around £130 for 750GBs of storage, they're much cheaper and give a good boost in everyday performance to the average user.

Compared to the standard 5400 SATA2 HDDs shipped with many Macbook Pros, the Seagate Momentous XT hybrid drives can read and write in excess of 110MB/s, a good boost over the typical maximum of 70-80MB/s read and significantly lower writes of 5400rpm drives. Of course, nowhere near the 500MB/s+ reads/writes of the SSDs coming to market now. One of the best features of the Momentous drives is they have logic that learns to precache frequently used applications to the 8GB flash so they respond much quicker than normal. Boot times can improve to 20 seconds from power on to desktop from more than a minute with 5400 rpm drives.

Prices are pretty volatile for these Momentous XT drives at the moment, but I think they're well worth it and reckon on getting more in the future. Ideally, an SSD would be better for video editing purposes but you have to think about storage capacity too if you're editing several hundred GBs of footage and don't have tons of cash to spare.

Edited by SPOOKish (Sat 21-Apr-12 16:50:59)

Print Thread

Jump to