Technical Discussion
  >> Apple Issues

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User TLM
(legend) Thu 19-Apr-12 23:13:22
Print Post

Safari on iPad taking forever to load pages

[link to this post]

I swear it didn't used to be this bad. I think it's getting slowly worse. I almost got in a temper and threw the iPad in the dustbin tonight. I'm starting to think Windows is good - yes, that's how bad it's getting.

Nothing, but nothing, loads first time. You have to hit refresh, and maybe again, and wait...and wait...and wait.

I'm not aware of having altered anything. It's not my wireless router, because Windows laptop and Symbian phone, both also using it, work fine.

I've tried doing a complete reboot. I've tried renewing the lease. I've tried "forgetting" the connection altogether, and connecting as if to a new and previously unknown network.

I've tried switching DNS servers (Plusnet's own to Google DNS, and back again).

None of it makes a blind bit of difference. Page downloads still move at the speed of glaciers...

It's seriously interfering with the useability or usefulness of the iPad, now.

I've just tested with the BBC news page. After 20 seconds, most of it was visible, but the progress bar still hadn't completed. Another ten seconds before it it finally finished.

30 seconds per page. It's like trying to do it on dial-up. No idea what else to tweak.

Ideas?

T.
Standard User Kiggs
(fountain of knowledge) Fri 20-Apr-12 00:01:15
Print Post

Re: Safari on iPad taking forever to load pages

[re: TLM] [link to this post]

Have you upgraded to iOS 5.1? If not, do that. Otherwise, try resetting the network settings which are under Settings - General - Reset - Reset Network Settings.
Standard User ian_c
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 20-Apr-12 00:22:06
Print Post

Well, the obvious thing it to take a trip to Cribbs Causeway or Cabot Circus and test it on the Apple store's network. If it's doing the same there then a Genius should be able to help since you will have a demonstrable issue right in front of them.

If not then the problem might lie closer to home - is you wifi getting interference from neighbour's wifi for instance? Try changing channels.

(Having said that, I've given up on Safari in my Mac as too much of a PITA)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Kaoshan
(committed) Fri 20-Apr-12 05:45:57
Print Post

Try using Atomic Web Lite from the App Store and see if the problem is repeatable.

You have done the usual resets on your iPad so it must be something on your network interaction with the iPad. Have you tried your iPad on a different WiFi hotspot to see if that makes a difference. That would help narrow things down.

FWIW, I have an iPad 2 and a new iPad in the house both running IOS 5.1(9B176) on a 20MB ADSL connection and both load the BBC News pages instantaneously using Safari, Atomic Web Browser and Opera (which is my least favourite). I'm using Google DNS as it is more reliable than my ISP's default servers.
  Print Thread

Jump to