Technical Discussion
  >> Apple Issues

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Moderator billford
(moderator) Mon 30-Apr-12 15:13:23
Print Post

Tbb Flash speedtester

[link to this post]

Some of you may be aware of my occasional whinges in TTTS about the tbb Flash-based speedtester only returning ~12Mbps download instead of the ~65Mbps I get with other Flash speedtesters (eg speedtest.net) and Java-based testers.

I discovered something by accident... ignoring all the blind alleys I went down, if I wait until the download starts then use the mouse or trackpad to scroll the browser window up and down as fast as I can then I can see the "meter" go towards full scale and I get results approaching reasonable. The faster I can scroll it the faster the speedtest gets! It's only if I leave the display stationary that I get rubbish results.

This happens with both IPv4 and IPv6 tests, on the iMac (2560 x 1440, 32-bit colour) and the MacBook (1280 x 800, 32-bit colour), both with default drivers/profiles, both my usual browsers (Opera and Safari) and whether I've got any other applications running or not. OS is Snow Leopard, all updates applied, Flash is latest version.

I've looked at everything related to video and Flash that I can think of, but there's not much you can adjust on a Mac.

Anybody got any ideas, because I'm comprehensively baffled confused

Flash speedtest is here, for anyone who doesn't know it.

Bill
bill@thinkbroadband.com __________________Planes and Boats and ... __________________BQM
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband moderator but it does not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User jchamier
(knowledge is power) Mon 30-Apr-12 19:36:28
Print Post

Re: Tbb Flash speedtester

[re: billford] [link to this post]

I intentionally haven't installed Flash on my MBP - but I wonder if this effect happens on all browsers or just Safari ?

James - be* pro - 16.8 or 17.2mbps BQM
Still waiting for FTTC cabinet since Mar 2011- THFB PCP 5
Moderator billford
(moderator) Mon 30-Apr-12 20:04:23
Print Post

[re: jchamier] [link to this post]

As I said it also happens on Opera, but I'm sure other Mac users have reported it giving the same speeds as the Java test. Could be wrong on that, anyone care to comment?

I've just discovered an old version of Camino, updated it and that gives better results- about 35Mbps, but still only about half what it should really be. It also slows down if you scroll the window up and down fast enough, which is more like what I would expect!

edit- speedtest.net in Camino gives the answers I'd expect: ~65Mbps.

But it won't run the Java test at all, doesn't even bring up the Java screen (even after I remembered to enable it crazy). Not too worried, I seldom use Camino.

I'm beginning to think there's something weird about my setup, but I have absolutely zero idea what it might be, where to look next or how I managed to break it on both the iMac and the MacBook frown

Bill
bill@thinkbroadband.com __________________Planes and Boats and ... __________________BQM

Edited by billford (Mon 30-Apr-12 20:07:30)

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband moderator but it does not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User w4man
(freechataholic) Mon 30-Apr-12 20:13:04
Print Post

It just doesn't work. I gave up trying it some months ago.
Standard User micksharpe
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 30-Apr-12 20:14:51
Print Post

It sounds like mouse/trackpad events are interfering with a timing loop in the flash code.

“If you limit your choices only to what seems possible or reasonable, you disconnect yourself from what you truly want, and all that is left is compromise” - Robert Fritz
It Ought to be Easy | Greasemonkey scripts
Moderator billford
(moderator) Mon 30-Apr-12 20:15:04
Print Post

[re: w4man] [link to this post]

Ah right, at least I'm not the only one!

Thanks, that's reassured me quite a bit smile

Bill
Moderator billford
(moderator) Mon 30-Apr-12 20:17:37
Print Post

[re: micksharpe] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by micksharpe:
It sounds like mouse/trackpad events are interfering with a timing loop in the flash code.
That sounds reasonable, but it's odd that it speeds Opera and Safari up and slows Camino down confused

But then, the innards of a Mac are way out of my pay band.

Bill
Moderator billford
(moderator) Mon 30-Apr-12 20:21:33
Print Post

[re: w4man] [link to this post]

Carl- just a thought- are you still using Snow Leopard or have you upgraded (if that's the right word tongue) to Lion?

Bill
Standard User AEP
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 30-Apr-12 20:26:00
Print Post

That's strange. It works fine for me (Safari on Lion) and gives the same results as the Jave speed tester.
Moderator billford
(moderator) Mon 30-Apr-12 20:34:50
Print Post

[re: AEP] [link to this post]

Weird... I'm certainly not going to install Lion just for the sake of one speedtester.

I'll keep poking it to see if I can find something that makes it work wink

Bill
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to