Technical Discussion
  >> Apple Issues

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User Kiggs
(fountain of knowledge) Sat 05-May-12 21:39:11
Print Post

Just picked up an Apple TV

[link to this post]

Sony's apparent refusal to allow Netflix to run on their old Blu-ray players moved me in the direction of an Apple TV which I purchased today. Previously, I was using a Wii for testing out streaming Netflix and the quality was bearable but with the Apple TV it's fantastic! Yes, the Netflix library is lacking for now but at least the picture is crystal clear. HD streams seem to soak up 5-7Mbit from my 17Mbit (sync rate) Sky Broadband connection and I've yet to experience any mid-play buffering.

Would be nice to hear others experiences.

Edited by Kiggs (Sat 05-May-12 22:01:20)

Standard User jchamier
(knowledge is power) Sat 05-May-12 22:20:43
Print Post

Re: Just picked up an Apple TV

[re: Kiggs] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Kiggs:
Would be nice to hear others experiences.

I also have a 2011 (BDP-S380) sony bluray player - and also a PS3. I found NetFlix on the PS3 was very good quality for HD programmes.

The Apple TV 3 is probably equally as good - mine is the ATV 2 and its not as good on my 2007 40" TV.

James - be* pro - 16.8 or 17.2mbps BQM
No FTTC cabinet yet (originally Mar 2011) THFB PCP 5 - hope for 21st May to 1 June !
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sun 06-May-12 20:49:04
Print Post

[re: Kiggs] [link to this post]

Netflix shifts between bit rates seamlessly, so generally works well even at peak times.

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User jchamier
(knowledge is power) Sun 06-May-12 23:10:17
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by MrSaffron:
Netflix shifts between bit rates seamlessly, so generally works well even at peak times.

Depends on your definition of "well". I have a 14mbps connection, but when I had a month's trial of Netflix, I watched a series in HD. Most of the time due to the auto-shifting, I would get a standard definition (lower quality than freeview) picture. Unwatchable on my 40" TV. So I'd hit pause - and it would buffer, and then I'd get a much higher resolution picture. At the best quality it was 1080p.

(Watching on a PS3).

James - be* pro - 16.8 or 17.2mbps BQM
No FTTC cabinet yet (originally Mar 2011) THFB PCP 5 - hope for 21st May to 1 June !
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Wed 09-May-12 15:17:26
Print Post

[re: jchamier] [link to this post]

Have been known to forget when its netflix and pick the wrong remote up, and thats with a 6 Meg service. XBox that is.

I wouldn't watch my of my fave films on it, but for general viewing box sets its fine.

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User ian72
(knowledge is power) Fri 22-Jun-12 16:08:27
Print Post

[re: jchamier] [link to this post]

Netflix via PS3 worked very well for me. Picture quality was definitely good on a 46" TV without any messing around (the first 30 seconds was sometimes noticeably low quality but after that it always seemed very good). That is all on a 10Mb download. Likelihood is the quality is not directly related to headline speeds (at least if you have a minimum download rate) but is likely more affected by congestion (on local network and on the wider ISP network).
  Print Thread

Jump to