Technical Discussion
  >> Apple Issues

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Moderator billford
(moderator) Sun 13-May-12 10:58:23
Print Post

Trash query

[link to this post]

Had a clear-out of a couple of memory sticks this morning... identified the folders/files I didn't want, right-clicked and moved to trash. But of course, this won't actually recover the space until I empty the trash.

But there were some files in the trash (from the main HDD) that I didn't (yet) want to permanently get rid off... I ended up putting them back, clearing the trash and then re-trashing the ones I'd put back.

There's gotta be a better way crazy

So simple question- is there any way to selectively empty the trash on a specific drive, alternatively to specify selected drives to exclude from an "empty trash" operation?

Bill
bill@thinkbroadband.com __________________Planes and Boats and ... __________________BQM
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband moderator but it does not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User ian_c
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 13-May-12 11:32:54
Print Post

Re: Trash query

[re: billford] [link to this post]

Why not just create a folder call - Trash Candidates?

Moderator billford
(moderator) Sun 13-May-12 11:38:04
Print Post

[re: ian_c] [link to this post]

Basic reason- idleness tongue

It means opening up finder windows, dragging the files around etc... much easier to just right-click and move to trash.

But I might have to do it that way if I can't do what I want.

Bill
bill@thinkbroadband.com __________________Planes and Boats and ... __________________BQM
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband moderator but it does not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User metalhead41
(knowledge is power) Sun 13-May-12 11:58:21
Print Post

[re: billford] [link to this post]

Not ideal, but could you open up terminal go to .Trash and do an rm on what you don't want?

----------------------------------------------------
We may be human But we're still animals

My Blog | follow me @metalhead41 | Surfin' Bird Dance
Moderator billford
(moderator) Sun 13-May-12 12:36:45
Print Post

[re: metalhead41] [link to this post]

Hadn't thought about using Terminal...

Later- had a play. Couldn't make it work for removing files in the trash, but it works for immediate deleting (ie without first moving files to the trash).

A bit fiddly 'cos I'm not a command line expert where *nix is concerned, but definitely a possibility if it's just a few large files (or I can use wild-cards), and as the sticks are mostly used for transferring jpg's from a Windows laptop, that's quite a common occurrence smile

Thanks.

Bill
  Print Thread

Jump to