Technical Discussion
  >> Apple Issues

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User ichatergosum
(committed) Sun 22-Jul-12 18:36:53
Print Post

Open DNS

[link to this post]

What views does anyone have on Open DNS?

I've seen references to it before, and have just read this recommendation.

ZeN 8000 Active
ZeN mug! smile
iMac 20" 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo : OS 10.6.8 & Windows XP SP3 : iMac 15" 800 MHz G4 : OS 10.4.11 : PowerBook 17" 1.33 GHz G4 : OS 10.4.11 : Home build 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 2600k : Ubuntu 12.04 : SpeedTouch 536 v6 : AirPort Extreme Base Station
Standard User locutus
(committed) Sun 22-Jul-12 18:40:03
Print Post

Re: Open DNS

[re: ichatergosum] [link to this post]

I use Google, they all provide a similar service.

Google Public DNS

--
Views expressed are mine and not necessarily those of my employer.
Hyperoptic 1Gig http://www.speedtest.net/result/2063605290.png
Moderator billford
(moderator) Sun 22-Jul-12 18:44:27
Print Post

It works... but if your ISP runs a properly set-up DNS service there's little point in swapping.

If doesn't (and many don't!) then it may well be worth using.

That's for the free "home" version, if you use (and pay for) the business version then the extra control and security options may well make it worthwhile.

Bill
bill@thinkbroadband.com __________________Planes and Boats and ... __________________BQM
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband moderator but it does not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Jethro_Tombs
(newbie) Sun 22-Jul-12 18:51:31
Print Post

I've been using it for over 3 years. It has been most effective in controlling junior's surfing habits. I'm sure it will continue to work until he realises he can put his own dns server addresses in to his laptops connection parameters.
(committed) Sun 22-Jul-12 18:54:47
Print Post

[re: billford] [link to this post]

I'm mainly curious.

In the Network Pane of my PB, under the TCP/IP tab for Airport, there are two DNS Servers listed, and in parentheses alongside it says (Optional).

I vaguely remember entering them some time ago, probably on the advice of someone at Zen.

ZeN 8000 Active
ZeN mug! smile
iMac 20" 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo : OS 10.6.8 & Windows XP SP3 : iMac 15" 800 MHz G4 : OS 10.4.11 : PowerBook 17" 1.33 GHz G4 : OS 10.4.11 : Home build 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 2600k : Ubuntu 12.04 : SpeedTouch 536 v6 : AirPort Extreme Base Station
Standard User gmoorc
(committed) Sun 22-Jul-12 19:35:32
Print Post

[re: Jethro_Tombs] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Jethro_Tombs:
I've been using it for over 3 years. It has been most effective in controlling junior's surfing habits. I'm sure it will continue to work until he realises he can put his own dns server addresses in to his laptops connection parameters.

Block outgoing port 53 in your routers firewall if you want to prevent this.
Moderator billford
(moderator) Sun 22-Jul-12 19:58:04
Print Post

Normally you'd just put the router's LAN address in there and rely on it picking up your ISP's DNS servers when you log in.

I tried the OpenDNS servers against my ISP's own (putting them in the router, not the computer)... the primary was slightly quicker than OpenDNS, the secondary was slightly slower.

And I mean slightly, sub-millisecond, which could easily have been due to traffic variations.

So I just let the router pick them up from my ISP.

Bill
bill@thinkbroadband.com __________________Planes and Boats and ... __________________BQM
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband moderator but it does not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
(committed) Sun 22-Jul-12 20:13:21
Print Post

In reply to a post by billford:
Normally you'd just put the router's LAN address in there and rely on it picking up your ISP's DNS servers when you log in.

I think that's what the Intel iMac does (10.6.8)

We've got an AEBS. In its TCP/IP tab it shows 10.0.x.x by default.

ZeN 8000 Active
ZeN mug! smile
Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 22-Jul-12 20:38:28
Print Post

In reply to a post by billford:
If doesn't (and many don't!) then it may well be worth using.
That's the operative point! Many ISP's DNSs fail from time to time.

Best defence is to mix-and-match 1 ISP DNS with 1 public DNS.

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 19 Meg WBC
Standard User 5km
(knowledge is power) Sun 22-Jul-12 21:35:11
Print Post

I've been using OpenDNS for a long time now ... I think I changed because there were problems with O2's own DNS servers at one point. Don't know if this is still the case. I actually have OpenDNS and Google public DNS configured with O2's primary 5th as my router doesn't allow me to delete this.

Never had any DNS problems but then I have 3 different providers with 5 servers configured.

O2 Broadband Premium LLU
Now on twitter @timmay2
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to