Technical Discussion
  >> Apple Issues

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Moderator billford
(moderator) Sat 28-Jul-12 10:24:07
Print Post

Failing wireless

[link to this post]

I think the 5Ghz wireless on my (late 2008) MacBook is beginning to turn its toes skyward frown

The 2.4GHz seems fine (atm) so it's far from bricked, but it's nuisance. It would happen a few weeks after I'd maxed out the RAM of course, sod's law strikes again crazy

I don't know the costs of this sort of exercise, is it worth looking at getting it fixed or should I add it to the "pros" column for buying a new one? tongue

Bill
bill@thinkbroadband.com __________________Planes and Boats and ... __________________BQM
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband moderator but it does not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User micksharpe
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 28-Jul-12 11:03:34
Print Post

Re: Failing wireless

[re: billford] [link to this post]

Wireless transceivers in Windows lappies are generally plug-in modules. MacBooks may be the same, in which case it should be a simple fix. Best to contact Apple.

'Sir, please,' she said... 'Will you not share your wisdom with us?'
'I have no wisdom,' he told her.
'Your experiences, then?'
'They have been trivial, uninteresting, and full of error.'
Ian M. Banks - Feersum Endjinn
It Ought to be Easy | Greasemonkey scripts
Moderator billford
(moderator) Sat 28-Jul-12 12:07:57
Print Post

[re: micksharpe] [link to this post]

You could be right- System Profiler shows a "card type" rather than just a "chipset" so it's promising.

I need to tie it down a bit more surely before coughing up any money though- it's an intermittent problem and, when it occurs, doesn't really last long enough to do any meaningful diagnostics frown

Bill
bill@thinkbroadband.com __________________Planes and Boats and ... __________________BQM
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband moderator but it does not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User micksharpe
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 28-Jul-12 12:27:54
Print Post

Interference on 5GHz? Are there any apps that will show you what other wireless devices are nearby?

'Sir, please,' she said... 'Will you not share your wisdom with us?'
'I have no wisdom,' he told her.
'Your experiences, then?'
'They have been trivial, uninteresting, and full of error.'
Ian M. Banks - Feersum Endjinn
It Ought to be Easy | Greasemonkey scripts
Moderator billford
(moderator) Sat 28-Jul-12 13:04:58
Print Post

[re: micksharpe] [link to this post]

I've been running iStumbler, it's never shown even a trace of any other 5GHz networks within range. Anything up to a couple of dozen at 2.4GHz, which is why I prefer to use the higher frequency!

But there is an oddity regarding interference- when the problem occurs iStumbler frequently (not always) shows massive bursts of noise at 5GHz at ~30 second intervals, but only if the MacBook is connected to the 5GHz network at the time. If I switch to 2.4GHz the noise disappears, and it doesn't show at all in iStumbler running simultaneously on the iMac.

To me that's indicative (though not conclusive) that the problem is internal to the MacBook. I'm currently running the iMac wirelessly at 5GHz in an attempt to get a bit more evidence, or lack thereof, but the intermittent nature doesn't help crazy

Bill
Standard User TheHorseman
(knowledge is power) Sun 29-Jul-12 16:22:09
Print Post

I have an MBP mid-2007 and it is certainly a plug in card in there. I looked into it as my MBP does not support AirDrop so I looked at changing the card to one that does. There seem to be a few such cards on ebay.

BT -> Zen -> F2S -> Bulldog -> Be* -> BT Infinity 2
Say it with flowers, give her a Triffid smile
Moderator billford
(moderator) Sun 29-Jul-12 17:25:03
Print Post

[re: TheHorseman] [link to this post]

I hadn't thought about eBay, thanks- seems to be several types on there.

If it does look to be a wireless problem1 I'll have to have the back off again to make sure what I've got... that always makes me nervous, I swear those screws get smaller as I get older crazy

1 Running some properly organised tests this time to narrow it down.

Bill
Standard User TheHorseman
(knowledge is power) Sun 29-Jul-12 17:39:02
Print Post

In reply to a post by billford:
I swear those screws get smaller as I get older crazy

Yup, I have to use a magnifier in my work these days. Some of the components I use, if they ping out of the tweezers then it's get another one out of the packet, because I'm not going to be able to find it.

BT -> Zen -> F2S -> Bulldog -> Be* -> BT Infinity 2
Say it with flowers, give her a Triffid smile
Standard User stniuk
(experienced) Sun 29-Jul-12 21:05:34
Print Post

[re: TheHorseman] [link to this post]

A new microwave, wireless phone?
Standard User dsch
(member) Mon 30-Jul-12 08:28:05
Print Post

[re: stniuk] [link to this post]

Just in case. I've had similar difficulties with intermittent internet connections and to date have been unable to identify the source of the problem. It has been suggested by my ISP that the source might be the modem/router as the line seems to be fine.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to