Technical Discussion
  >> Apple Issues

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User time2die
(knowledge is power) Tue 31-Jul-12 23:55:50
Print Post

Advice Apple Imac 27inch bought mid 2011 best buy

[link to this post]

Hi everyone

A question about ram and how easy is it to replace or add more to this Apple Imac 27inch,currently has 4 gig of 2x2 of 1333mhz ddr3 memory with 2 further slots.......

What are my options and what can i use in terms of memory,does this mean i can only total 8 gig or could i get 4x4 gig or what.

Ebay is full of the stuff but I'm not that technical and there is no way i am paying Apple prices for Ram of them,any suggestions and links gratefully appreciated.

Would i see a massive difference if i could put 16 gig of ram in this machine,or am i stuck with just 8 and where is the best place to buy it apart from ebay.

This is what the Imac says regarding memory.
Your Mac contains 4 memory slots, each of which accepts
a 1333 MHz DDR3 memory module.

Edited by time2die (Tue 31-Jul-12 23:58:30)

Standard User uno
(fountain of knowledge) Wed 01-Aug-12 00:12:06
Print Post

Re: Advice Apple Imac 27inch bought mid 2011 best buy

[re: time2die] [link to this post]

We've got a few of these in our office, most with 12GB.

2 x 2GB
2 x 4GB

Maximum as per Apple docs is 16GB (4 x 4GB).

Matt

uno Broadband
t: 0808 221 8642
Official Maidenhead, Milton Keynes & Manchester Speedtest.net Host
Standard User Basenji
(fountain of knowledge) Wed 01-Aug-12 00:31:40
Print Post

In reply to a post by time2die:
Hi everyone

A question about ram and how easy is it to replace or add more to this Apple Imac 27inch,currently has 4 gig of 2x2 of 1333mhz ddr3 memory with 2 further slots.......

What are my options and what can i use in terms of memory,does this mean i can only total 8 gig or could i get 4x4 gig or what.

Ebay is full of the stuff but I'm not that technical and there is no way i am paying Apple prices for Ram of them,any suggestions and links gratefully appreciated.

Would i see a massive difference if i could put 16 gig of ram in this machine,or am i stuck with just 8 and where is the best place to buy it apart from ebay.

This is what the Imac says regarding memory.
Your Mac contains 4 memory slots, each of which accepts
a 1333 MHz DDR3 memory module.
Hi there,

Replacing the RAM is a pretty simple task. smile You just need a Philips #2 screwdriver to undo the captive screw that holds in the RAM cover. smile The way I did it, was to just maneuver the iMac to the front edge of my desk (unplug ALL cables first) and then, when you have about 1" overhang, pivot the screen right back, so you can access the screw. From there, it's just a matter of slotting the RAM in and making sure that you push it home until you "feel" a click. smile All-in-all, the job was done and the machine was restarted in less than 5 minutes. smile

According to Mactracker the maximum amount of RAM you can install is 32Gb, which would mean 4x8Gb.

Personally speaking, I can highly recommend Jigsaw Systems. smile I purchased 2x4Gb of Kingston RAM from them for my iMac i5 for (IIRC) £15 Ex VAT each. If you give their sales line a call, they can talk you step-by-step what your available configuration options are. smile

I hope this info helps. laugh

**Edited to clean up URL**

Nothing to see here.. Move along, please
My Broadband Speed Test laugh

Edited by Basenji (Wed 01-Aug-12 00:34:24)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User ukhardy07
(experienced) Wed 01-Aug-12 04:46:22
Print Post

These guys are pretty good. They tell you what you need and a price

http://www.crucial.com/uk/systemscanner/MacOS.aspx
Standard User time2die
(knowledge is power) Wed 01-Aug-12 08:12:03
Print Post

[re: uno] [link to this post]

Thanks Guys for the suggestions and help smile

Love that Crucial site which even scans your Mac and gives you all the options,actually i could install 32 gig into this baby.

2x4 gig giving me 12 gig seems nice for £32......would i notice a big difference in speed.......Not that this Mac is actually that slow.wink

Edited by time2die (Wed 01-Aug-12 08:23:11)

Print Thread

Jump to