Technical Discussion
  >> Apple Issues

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User xela
(fountain of knowledge) Fri 03-Aug-12 15:02:04
Print Post

Wireless printer recommendations

[link to this post]

Hi all,

I have a Canon IP4000R. It's basically an inkjet printer with Ethernet and WiFi. It's starting to show its age a bit now and I'm looking for a replacement.

What do people recommend? Price is not a huge issue... I would guess £50-150 is around the mark.

Its main job will be wireless printing from a Mac (mainly text but also images.. it needs to be colour really) but I'm also interested in people's opinions on

- wireless printing from iPad/AirPrint
- all-in-one devices (worthwhile? Usable over wireless? I don't scan very often - normally a photo is good enough)
- laser vs inkjet
- photo printing (is it better to get photos professionally printed and posted instead of DIY printing)
Standard User Kaoshan
(committed) Sat 04-Aug-12 06:44:22
Print Post

Re: Wireless printer recommendations

[re: xela] [link to this post]

I have two AIO printers printing wirelessly from my Mac network, an iPhone and an iPad. I like AIO printers because they can be used stand-alone as photocopiers. For scanning to the Macs I use an Epson Perfection scanner.

One is an HP Photosmart Plus B209a-m and the other an Epson Stylus Office BX535WD. Both come well within your price range and if you shop around you can get a very good deal on them, particularly the HP models. Both work with Snow Leopard, Lion, Mountain Lion and IOS 5.x

Laser printers are more expensive and unless you want to print large volumes at high speed an inkjet will more than suffice. Inkjet consumables are costly. Both models produce very good quality photos.
Standard User stniuk
(experienced) Sat 04-Aug-12 11:18:30
Print Post

[re: Kaoshan] [link to this post]

I have a HP Photosmart C6300, it never worked over wireless.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User goldenoldie
(knowledge is power) Sat 04-Aug-12 11:29:36
Print Post

[re: stniuk] [link to this post]

I have an HP Photosmart 6510 - set up for wireless printing straight out of the box - plugged it in and it was recognised instantly.

Now press print and across the room it goes into action and prints - wonderfully lazy smile

-------x-------x-------x-------x-------x-------x-------x-------x-------x-------x
If a thing ain't broke --- DON'T FIX IT
Experienced in making a mess of things smile
MacBook Pro on OSX 10.7.4 ,Belkin N Wireless Router , [ sssh - and a PC wired lappy using XP Pro ] all on Virginmedia 60meg
Standard User ukhardy07
(experienced) Sat 04-Aug-12 11:53:58
Print Post

In reply to a post by xela:

I used an epson sx515w for 5 years and recently that packed up. I got another Epson around 2 years ago and it's going strongly.

Both wireless...

This one

http://www.tesco.com/direct/epson-stylus-sx435w-aio-...

& the ink is absolutely dirt cheap. You can get 4 refills for £13 on ebay.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/16-Ink-Cartridge-For-SX125...

Granted the cartridges don't last as long & when they run out it just randomly says 'ink cartridges not recognised' as opposed to low ink or whatever but for that price I can't moan.

I've used these cheapo cartridges on both printers, even the 5 year old one with no issues.

Edited by ukhardy07 (Sat 04-Aug-12 11:54:40)

Standard User xela
(fountain of knowledge) Sun 02-Sep-12 18:52:29
Print Post

[re: stniuk] [link to this post]

Thanks for all your advice. I've been neglecting this thread a bit.

In reply to a post by stniuk:
I have a HP Photosmart C6300, it never worked over wireless.

So many printer reviews say things like this. Printer reviews, more than most IT equipment reviews, seem to be polarised between the 5* reviews ("Perfect!") and the 1* reviews ("Doesn't work at all! Avoid!")

Wireless, in particular, seems to be a patchy area for many printers.

Hmm.. I'm none the wiser! crazy
Standard User stniuk
(experienced) Sun 02-Sep-12 19:32:51
Print Post

Yea i went through the whole HP help procedure, after a while I just gave up.
Moderator billford
(moderator) Sun 02-Sep-12 20:25:59
Print Post

I can never see the point of a wireless printer... it's not as if they need to be moved around the house. Just an unnecessary complication imo.

I have a Samsung CLP-315W (the "W" means "wireless"), but I've never used that mode. I set it up with a wired Ethernet connection to the router and I can use it from any computer on the LAN, including any that connect using wireless!

Bill
bill@thinkbroadband.com __________________Planes and Boats and ... __________________BQM
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband moderator but it does not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Sun 02-Sep-12 21:29:16
Print Post

[re: billford] [link to this post]

oh man, dinnae go for a hp - expensive original inks, no compatible replacements.

go for a canon. we've got an mp560 and it's fab - cheap good quality replacement inks etc.

the new models (mg5350 - wifi, separate ink tanks) go for 40 quid (refurbished) which is a steal: http://stores.ebay.co.uk/canon-outlet
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Sun 02-Sep-12 21:50:42
Print Post

[re: Anonymous] [link to this post]

and the canon mp560's wireless seems to be working perfectly, by the way.

i think it's very useful to have a wireless function, though these days, powerline would do as well - a few years back it was a very expensive option. I have an old hoose that's small rooms and so i can keep a wireless printer out of sight in a wee spare room.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to