Technical Discussion
  >> Apple Issues

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Moderator billford
(moderator) Mon 27-Aug-12 22:58:29
Print Post

Stargazing

[link to this post]

I'd better not cross-post tongue, so just a link to something more-or-less Apple related I saw on Horizon that I found fascinating... here.

Bill
bill@thinkbroadband.com __________________Planes and Boats and ... __________________BQM
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband moderator but it does not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User goldenoldie
(knowledge is power) Tue 28-Aug-12 08:23:59
Print Post

Re: Stargazing

[re: billford] [link to this post]

You ??

Avoiding Cross posting ???

Whoda thunk it tongue

-------x-------x-------x-------x-------x-------x-------x-------x-------x-------x
If a thing ain't broke --- DON'T FIX IT
Experienced in making a mess of things smile
MacBook Pro on OSX 10.7.4 ,Virgin Super Hub , [ sssh - and a PC wired lappy using XP Pro ] all on Virginmedia 60meg
Standard User AEP
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 28-Aug-12 08:59:23
Print Post

Re: Stargazing

[re: billford] [link to this post]

I haven't tried that particular one, Bill, but there are a number of similar apps, and PC programs that I have used. I find the location-based ones a bit of a gimmick; interesting for a little while, but nothing beats the real thing.

More comprehensive applications, such as Red Shift, can be a great tool for the amateur astronomer. I use it more for checking what's where and printing out star maps of small areas of interest than actually in the field. Great for locating where, for example, Uranus is going to be tonight, or when to expect transits of the Jovian moons.

They do allow you to control a computer controlled telescope, but I can't be bothered to drag a computer into the garden and hook it up to my telescope. Anyway, nothing beats a bit of point and nudge.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread

Jump to