Technical Discussion
  >> Apple Issues

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User euro5stars
(newbie) Mon 03-Sep-12 15:14:59
Print Post

D-link wireless issue after power cuts with iPhone/Pad

[link to this post]

Hi
Can anyone help? Been replacing electric sockets round the house, so lots of power on/off's. The PC is wired in via cable to the router and is working fine. Used the iPad only to find no wireless system. Re-set the TalkTalk router 2640R in the back. No WLAN light at first, but have that back after logging on to website of Dlink. However, neither phone nor pad will automatically 'connect' to the home network. The network comes up on the settings page as DSL-2640 whereas before it identified itself as TalkTalk****. When asked for a password, we log in with the network password, but it comes back as 'unable to join the network "dsl-2640"'. I've obviously missed some part of the re-setting up....but which?
Any pointers would be great.
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Mon 03-Sep-12 16:04:19
Print Post

Re: D-link wireless issue after power cuts with iPhone/Pad

[re: euro5stars] [link to this post]

Sounds like the settings have corrupted, if no one else suggests a better solution, a HARD reset might fix the issue, just make a note of any forwarded ports so you can add them again once the hard reset is complete,

To hard reset most equiptment, you push the little recessed reset button for 5-10 seconds, but this varies so check the manufactures instructions.

Only use this as a last resort if no one else suggests a better solution, this has always worked for me in the past with both ADSL and FIBER router/modems

JonasT
Standard User euro5stars
(newbie) Mon 03-Sep-12 16:22:38
Print Post

[re: Anonymous] [link to this post]

Think thats what got me into this mess....did the reset, without getting the settings off the website. Never had this before, so saw the black hole....and went for it. Waiting on TalkTalk to get back to me (have registered for their forum, but no reply yet). She's suffering the shakes at the moment, as she's got her eye on a new pair of clogs! Saving me a shed load, I suppose.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User janitor
(experienced) Mon 03-Sep-12 19:00:44
Print Post

As the ssid has been reset to DSL-2640, the wireless encryption has probably been reset to default as well. So if you go back into the router through your web browser, change the wireless encryption code to the one supplied by TalkTalk your wireless devices should be able to connect again.
Standard User euro5stars
(newbie) Mon 03-Sep-12 21:47:42
Print Post

[re: janitor] [link to this post]

Cheers. Just tried that with the code supplied and it still wont let me join. Bum. No word from TT, either.
Standard User janitor
(experienced) Mon 03-Sep-12 22:26:35
Print Post

I know this is for windows but does it help http://help.talktalk.co.uk/app/answers/detail/a_id/2158 and may have done it already, and are all devices using the same encryption e.g wep
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Tue 04-Sep-12 16:13:02
Print Post

[re: janitor] [link to this post]

Change the SSID (Wireless network name to one you know) and for the sake of testing set a simple WPA key initially e.g. 12345678

Then see if the devices will connect to this new network with the new easy settings, if so then set a better WPA key (i.e. one that is hard to guess) and carry on.

Avoid characters like - . ! | spaces, stick to letters and numbers.

if you cannot still connect, check that the router is accepting 802.11g connections, and if a N device that it is operating in a 20 / 40 MHz mode, rather than a pure 40 MHz mode.

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
  Print Thread

Jump to