Technical Discussion
  >> Apple Issues

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User macduffintosh72
(knowledge is power) Sun 14-Oct-12 23:02:28
Print Post

iOS6 Maps

[link to this post]

What the fuss all about with Maps on the iPhone? I've recently tested it to get me to Gatwick Airport and back (183 miles each way) and it worked flawlessly. I liked the Google maps App but it was mainly a gimmick, now Maps on iOS 6 has a real world use.

Tony Benn: "If one meets a powerful person--Adolf Hitler, Joe Stalin or Bill Gates--ask them five questions: "What power have you got? Where did you get it from? In whose interests do you exercise it? To whom are you accountable? And how can we get rid of you?"...

What in fact he didn't say when he met Saddam Hussein, [see above].
Standard User goldenoldie
(knowledge is power) Sun 14-Oct-12 23:10:40
Print Post

Re: iOS6 Maps

[re: macduffintosh72] [link to this post]

Very nice too in some places - but I can't use it to navigate to my house - it has me about 25 miles away . The nearest road of any size is in the next town - according to iOS6Maps.

yet other areas are OK - where it's good it's good , where it's bad it's simply awful.

-------x-------x-------x-------x-------x-------x-------x-------x-------x-------x
If a thing ain't broke --- DON'T FIX IT
Experienced in making a mess of things smile
MacBook Pro on OSX 10.7.4 ,Virgin Super Hub , [ sssh - and a PC wired lappy using XP Pro ] all on Virginmedia 60meg
Standard User macduffintosh72
(knowledge is power) Sun 14-Oct-12 23:16:29
Print Post

[re: goldenoldie] [link to this post]

I've yet to experience any of those glaring errors but 25 miles out is a big one! Is it possible for you to report the discrepancy with your address to apple from within the App?

Tony Benn: "If one meets a powerful person--Adolf Hitler, Joe Stalin or Bill Gates--ask them five questions: "What power have you got? Where did you get it from? In whose interests do you exercise it? To whom are you accountable? And how can we get rid of you?"...

What in fact he didn't say when he met Saddam Hussein, [see above].

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User ian_c
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 14-Oct-12 23:33:28
Print Post

If you look at all the news sites, they cite the same half dozen or so examples.

And the one that looked useful - the Ontario one - turn out to be set up wrong.

There are issues - it's a work in progress, but Google Maps thinks I have a police station round the corner from me (because of confusion over the term sub-station, I think)

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Mon 15-Oct-12 20:49:48
Print Post

I did a trial run back from Fleet Services on M3 and was ok, wording needed a little more spacing for the spoken stuff.

The TomTome Europe for iPhone still works and will work in areas with zero coverage too, have not tried driving to a destination that has no coverage to see how far ahead it caches the maps.

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User Ripley
(committed) Mon 15-Oct-12 22:00:08
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

I find it really poor for the satelite images, not a patch on the old system

Freeserve Dial-Up --> BTopenworld --> <n>ildram -->Talk Talk LLU --> ZeN
DrayTek 2850 VN

My Broadband Speed Test
Standard User Desmond
(sensei) Tue 16-Oct-12 07:25:35
Print Post

[re: Ripley] [link to this post]

I find the satellite image is very variable (not unlike Googles not that long ago), but in some limited instances it is better than Google's offer, with noticably sharper imagery at what is obviously a higher resolution. A superficial check against another iPhone 4 running IOS5 and like mine on O2 seems to indicate Apple's maps also load very much faster .

Des

The original 32 bit junkie now snorting pure 64. Sky Broadband, Wired, Wireless, VoIP, 1 Mac, 2. Hackintoshes, 1 PC, 2 HTPCs, iPhone, iPad, OS X, Windows 7

Rehab is for quitters
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Tue 16-Oct-12 21:41:54
Print Post

[re: Desmond] [link to this post]

On a 50mile drive it only used 2.3MB of data which I thought I was pretty efficient

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User xela
(fountain of knowledge) Wed 17-Oct-12 20:11:23
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by MrSaffron:
I did a trial run back from Fleet Services on M3 and was ok, wording needed a little more spacing for the spoken stuff.

The TomTome Europe for iPhone still works and will work in areas with zero coverage too, have not tried driving to a destination that has no coverage to see how far ahead it caches the maps.

And hope you don't take any wrong turns, lest it need to re-route you...
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Thu 18-Oct-12 23:34:00
Print Post

[re: xela] [link to this post]

MIght have to try that for a laugh one day.

Even with all my gadgets I usually still have a paper map of destination with me when going somewhere totally new - just in case. Street view is best innovation of late though, as can see what a building looks like and where car park entrance is etc

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to