Technical Discussion
  >> Apple Issues

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User Desmond
(sensei) Tue 30-Oct-12 06:54:49
Print Post

Harrah!

[link to this post]

The nerd behind Apple's adoption of skeuomorph designs is on his way out. Wohooo! Now we can look forward to a return to minimalist simplicy not tacky look likey gimickry.

It seems they're also loosing the ex Dixon's head from their retail unit, which always seemed like an odd appointment to me.

Des

The original 32 bit junkie now snorting pure 64. Sky Broadband, Wired, Wireless, VoIP, 1 Mac, 2. Hackintoshes, 1 PC, 2 HTPCs, iPhone, iPad, OS X, Windows 7

Rehab is for quitters

Edited by Desmond (Tue 30-Oct-12 07:39:58)

Standard User micksharpe
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 30-Oct-12 06:56:56
Print Post

Re: Harrah!

[re: Desmond] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Desmond:
It seems their also loosing the ex Dixon's head from their retail unit, which always seemed like an odd appointment to me.
It's no worse than hiring someone who used to sell soft drinks. wink

'Sir, please,' she said ... 'Will you not share your wisdom with us?'
'I have no wisdom,' he told her.
'Your experiences, then?'
'They have been trivial, uninteresting, and full of error.'
Ian M. Banks - Feersum Endjinn
It Ought to be Easy | Greasemonkey scripts
Standard User Desmond
(sensei) Tue 30-Oct-12 07:06:54
Print Post

[re: micksharpe] [link to this post]

At least somone selling soft drinks is not tainted by being part of an over-priced retail operation with ugly stores and truly terrible customer service.

Just read the Mr Ive has neen put in charge on interface design. We can thus look forward to some radical, minimalist and seiously sexy changes in the next iteration of both Mac OS and iOS. That can only be good news in the face of the dogs breakfast that is Windows 8, which I suspect will soon have Mr Balmer spending more time with his family. laugh

Des

The original 32 bit junkie now snorting pure 64. Sky Broadband, Wired, Wireless, VoIP, 1 Mac, 2. Hackintoshes, 1 PC, 2 HTPCs, iPhone, iPad, OS X, Windows 7

Rehab is for quitters

Edited by Desmond (Tue 30-Oct-12 07:14:09)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User AEP
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 30-Oct-12 09:09:44
Print Post

[re: micksharpe] [link to this post]

Very apposite. I seem to remember Sculley firing an Apple executive who had become a thorn in his side. Forstall was just a little too much like Jobs for comfort. We may yet see him back at Apple.

As for Browett, why stop there? What about the guy who hired him in the first place?
Standard User ian_c
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 30-Oct-12 09:46:31
Print Post

Re: Harrah! *DELETED*

[re: AEP] [link to this post]

Post deleted by billford

Edited by ian_c (Tue 30-Oct-12 09:48:10)

Standard User ian_c
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 30-Oct-12 09:59:18
Print Post

I think design geeks have to be a little careful what they wish for.

Good skeumorphic design adds warmth that appeals to those uncomfortable with technology - it can help overcome barriers. If something looks like a calendar, that's what it is.

The problem with Apple's approach was that it had no real visual narrative and too much of it was just eye candy.

Moderator billford
(moderator) Tue 30-Oct-12 10:24:24
Print Post

Re: Harrah! *DELETED*

[re: ian_c] [link to this post]

You might get away with a post like that in Free Chat, but not elsewhere.

Bill
bill@thinkbroadband.com __________________Planes and Boats and ... __________________BQM
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband moderator but it does not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User Desmond
(sensei) Tue 30-Oct-12 18:57:36
Print Post

[re: ian_c] [link to this post]

Adds warmth my anus! Adds bloat, adds CPU cycles, reduces battery life and is visually offensive to anyone with design sensibilities. It's one thing to have a toolbar have a button like a button. or even a calculator app that pays homage to Braun's classic design. However, its perverse to have an iOS podcasts app to have a retro reel to reel recorder animation. More so when Apple removed the CD from the iTunes icon because it had become irelevant to users, who no longer used CDs. Why didn't they replace it with a grammaphone icon instead?

I cannot recall the last paper calendar I saw never mind used other than the many that arrive at work pre christmas and go striaght into the bin. I certianly don't need tacky fake stitching and torn bits of paper or faux spiral binders or paper shredder animations or book shelves or a clock app where Apple forgot to check whether the team responsible for it may have ripped off a classic design - I could ahve told them that it was a straight copy of the Swiss railways design because I have a legitimate one just like it on my kitchen wall.

Good riddence to bad rubbish.

Des

Rehab is for quitters
Standard User ian_c
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 30-Oct-12 19:24:52
Print Post

visually offensive to anyone with design sensibilities
And that is what percentage of the market. I think it would be fair to say that we are atypical consumers.

Standard User ichatergosum
(committed) Tue 30-Oct-12 19:40:00
Print Post

In reply to a post by Desmond:
That can only be good news in the face of the dogs breakfast that is Windows 8, which I suspect will soon have Mr Balmer spending more time with his family. laugh

I do hope Stevie B remains at the helm. He's given me a lot of laughs over the years. He must be in contention for funniest corporate nabob, much funnier than Donald Trump or Conrad Black.

I'm further hoping that if we ever have to upgrade our Apple kit, the OS has got a calmer, cleaner look. I'll be happy to stick with 10.6.8 for a good while, having dodged Lion and Mountain Lion.

ZeN 8000 Active
ZeN mug! smile
iMac 20" 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo : OS 10.6.8 & Windows XP SP3 : iMac 15" 800 MHz G4 : OS 10.4.11 : PowerBook 17" 1.33 GHz G4 : OS 10.4.11 : Home build 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 2600k : Ubuntu 12.04.1 : SpeedTouch 536 v6 : AirPort Extreme Base Station
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to