Technical Discussion
  >> Apple Issues

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User xela
(fountain of knowledge) Thu 15-Nov-12 16:11:57
Print Post

AirPort Express + iPad + BBC iPlayer

[link to this post]

Will this work?

I have an iPad and I want...

A) to play iTunes audio through proper speakers with airport express

B) to play BBC Listen Again (via the iPlayer app) and have the sound broadcast through proper speakers, again, via airport express

Is this possible? I know I can do both things with an Apple TV but will the AirPort Express also work?
Standard User ukhardy07
(fountain of knowledge) Thu 15-Nov-12 17:43:49
Print Post

Re: AirPort Express + iPad + BBC iPlayer

[re: xela] [link to this post]

I have just got one of these. Mines being collected & sent back on Friday.

Basically it buffers 2 seconds of audio in advance. Sometimes it holds the video for 2 seconds, but most of the times the video is 2 seconds ahead of the sound.

If you connect to a macbook the sounds even more behind.
Moderator billford
(moderator) Thu 15-Nov-12 17:56:21
Print Post

I don't have an iPad, but with iMac and MacBook:
In reply to a post by xela:
A) to play iTunes audio through proper speakers with airport express
Yes, that will work, iTunes will happily play through an Airport Express.
B) to play BBC Listen Again (via the iPlayer app) and have the sound broadcast through proper speakers, again, via airport express
To the best of my knowledge, that won't work- the only thing that seems able to use the AEX is iTunes. Quite why Apple don't install it as just another sound device is beyond me crazy

There are some amplifiers available that are (or can be) AirPlay capable, Marantz do one that I know of, but whether these would suit your purpose I don't know- I suspect they just "look like" an AEX so iTunes can play to them direct.

If I'm wrong, and someone knows a way to get other applications to play through the AEX I'd love to hear about it...

Bill
bill@thinkbroadband.com __________________Planes and Boats and ... __________________BQM
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband moderator but it does not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User xela
(fountain of knowledge) Thu 15-Nov-12 18:33:18
Print Post

[re: billford] [link to this post]

Looking at ukhardy07's post and talking to Olly on irc, it looks like it should be possible.

AirPlay mirroring will project the iPad onto an AppleTV with no problem - this includes sound and video. This works for iPlayer.app but is disabled in some apps like 4OD.

My questions was specifically about whether I could project sound only from iPlayer.app running on the iPad to an AEx. Lipsync wouldn't be an issue for radio so what ukhardy07's problems shouldn't apply to me.

You're right about OS X and AirPlay. It's only really possible to broadcast to the AEx with iTunes but Airfoil will supposedly hijack the audio from any app and broadcast it to AEx.

My goal in this scenario is:
( all music in iTunes/iCloud ) + ( AirPlay capable sound system in more than one location ) + ( Mac or iPad to control iTunes ) = ( access to complete music collection from anywhere via iPad and it sounds nice with good speakers )

Being able to play the BBC's Listen Again stuff through the main sound system using just an iPad is a bonus.
Standard User bosie
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 15-Nov-12 20:22:14
Print Post

Sending iTunes (cloud included) from an iOS device to Air Play is easy enough (iMode 5 is my Airport Express device in the screenshots):

iPhone 5 Air Play
iPad 2 Air Play

Although Air Play is readily available to 3rd party apps, only a handful make use of it but not the BBC unfortunately (iPlayer or iPlayer Radio).

bosie
Standard User xela
(fountain of knowledge) Thu 15-Nov-12 20:26:49
Print Post

[re: bosie] [link to this post]

in iplayer, can you you not double tap the home button, scroll left, and get it to broadcast over airplay that way? That works for iplayer.app and my AppleTV.
Moderator billford
(moderator) Thu 15-Nov-12 20:35:54
Print Post

In reply to a post by xela:
AirPlay mirroring will project the iPad onto an AppleTV with no problem
I didn't even know what "AirPlay mirroring" was, I had to look it up blush

Not too surprising really, my Apple TV is first generation (doesn't support it) and, as I said, no iPad here... I'll leave it to those who know tongue

Thanks for the reminder about Airfoil though, I'd forgotten about it. Busy with other things at the moment, but I'll give it a try in a day or so.

Bill
bill@thinkbroadband.com __________________Planes and Boats and ... __________________BQM
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband moderator but it does not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User bosie
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 15-Nov-12 20:37:58
Print Post

Ah so that's where it went? Thanks a lot I've been looking for the little scrub bar icon all this time smile

bosie
Standard User cookie
(fountain of knowledge) Fri 16-Nov-12 09:46:41
Print Post

i use an airport express to send itunes and spotify audio from iOS to my hi-fi.

a couple of nights ago, i had cause to send audio from the iplayer app so i know that works too smile

Edited by cookie (Fri 16-Nov-12 09:47:22)

Standard User xela
(fountain of knowledge) Fri 16-Nov-12 10:23:44
Print Post

[re: cookie] [link to this post]

Thanks - that's exactly what I'd hoped to hear
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to