Technical Discussion
  >> Apple Issues

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User Sanpet
(newbie) Tue 27-Nov-12 12:11:01
Print Post

Funny Lines On Screen

[link to this post]

Hi, My first post here, so please be gentle smile

I have a MacBook pro, 13" screen size. The trouble is that the screen has stopped working. Well, not quite, it is basically black except for vertical white lines every couple of inches. I can get display fine if I connect to an external monitor and only on the external monitor, the onboard screen still displays the same

Question is, does it sound like a loose wire, or maybe worse?

I have a photo, but am unsure as to where I could post it so you could see it.

I hope for some help and thank you to any and all.

I hope to become part of this excellent family on board here.
Standard User Basenji
(fountain of knowledge) Tue 27-Nov-12 14:39:14
Print Post

Re: Funny Lines On Screen

[re: Sanpet] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Sanpet:
Hi, My first post here, so please be gentle smile

I have a MacBook pro, 13" screen size. The trouble is that the screen has stopped working. Well, not quite, it is basically black except for vertical white lines every couple of inches. I can get display fine if I connect to an external monitor and only on the external monitor, the onboard screen still displays the same

Question is, does it sound like a loose wire, or maybe worse?

I have a photo, but am unsure as to where I could post it so you could see it.

I hope for some help and thank you to any and all.

I hope to become part of this excellent family on board here.

Hi there,

What I'd suggest you do is give Apple a call on 0800 0480408 and once you get through, select the option for Tech Support. If your machine is in warranty, or covered by Applecare, then they will try and diagnose the fault over the phone for you and direct you to your local Apple Store to ultimately have it booked in for a repair.

The other route I would take, if you have a little time is either call or pop in to your nearest Apple Store and book a Genius appointment, which essentially will be the same as talking with Tech Support directly.

If your machine's warranty has expired, or is not covered by Apple Care. then Apple may still be able to repair the machine for you, but there is likely to be a charge for out of warranty repairs.

I hope this info helps. laugh

Nothing to see here.. Move along, please
My Broadband Speed Test laugh
Standard User Daniel_g
(committed) Wed 28-Nov-12 05:49:14
Print Post

Seen strange displays before while working at RM for a bit ( they make computers and education have then like schools and colleges), was 4 years ago but on the laptop line this happened and the person fixing then or trying had that fault sorted but popping a top cover off above the keyboard so the top of the main motherboard/ keyboard part and that exposed a small multicore cable near the screen to body brackets, this had a mutiway socket on it that plugged into a conector on the main body motherboard, this way not pushed in right and a pin was not making connection so display screwed, a quick push with a small screwdriver tip and cover back on and job done.

Saw this a few times in a few weeks I was there.
Horrible place and never set foot in there again!.

Can you or someone find the cable from screen to main board in a cover somewhere, our acer has it under a top cover with the power button and a few other botttons. under the LCD on the main body. Could be anywhere but guessing at the top part of the keyboard main body somewhere, all ways been top on the 2 laptops I had, but your one, just have to find a multicore small cable and a plug on the end. Might be different for apple machines or some other types. just the 2 laptops in last 8 years have worked like this. Had both aparts for various reasons and just what I noticed and thats how the work place we did for a few weeks mending screwed screens. Just loose conection. Easy fix if you get the right panel or cover off the computer. Or might not be depending how it is made.

Worth a look with a few tools like small screwdriver and stanley knife to pop covers.

If not happy doing this then dont, just a thought.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User nonymouse
(experienced) Sat 15-Dec-12 09:51:42
Print Post

Absolutely agree with Basenji... Genius appointment definitely the way to go... even out of warranty they are often able to sort problems, even self induced ones like spilling white wine on keyboard (see previous post)

** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** **
BT Infinity ~37Mbps at mo smile
BT HomeHub v3
DualCore Intel Mac Mini (Leopard), G4 Dual 1GHz(Leopard): OSX 10.5.8; G3 PB (no screen), OSX 10.4, MacBook (
Lion)10.7.3, iPhone4, iPad3
iLive an iLifev.6iWorkv.3What does it all mean
  Print Thread

Jump to