Technical Discussion
  >> Apple Issues

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User nonymouse
(experienced) Fri 21-Dec-12 19:47:56
Print Post

An H.264 question

[link to this post]

I currently have a Mac mini (Intelcoreduo) running a projector as a TV system with a FreeSat decoder plugged into it, and use eyeTV software

I was wondering if anyone has experience of using the Turbo H.264 for coding the saved programs for use on other devices.

Should I wait until I have bought a new Mac Mini (i7)... (To see if it is fast enough on it's own) Or will the Turbo still improve the coding times??

A

** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** **
BT Infinity ~37Mbps at mo smile
BT HomeHub v3
DualCore Intel Mac Mini (Leopard), G4 Dual 1GHz(Leopard): OSX 10.5.8; G3 PB (no screen), OSX 10.4, MacBook (
Lion)10.7.3, iPhone4, iPad3
iLive an iLifev.6iWorkv.3What does it all mean
Standard User cyclic999
(committed) Sat 22-Dec-12 18:13:16
Print Post

Re: An H.264 question

[re: nonymouse] [link to this post]

I use the lesser Turbo 264, and even that one speeds up the coding times using my old MacBook Pro.. Considerably.
The H 264 is alleged to be even faster, but I don't decode enough now to justify the cost.

I record using an Eye Tv hybrid tuner into EyeTV. The recordings go straight to an external USB drive, and nowadays I don't convert them for use on iPad or iPhone. If I did subsequently want to transfer one of those movies to iTunes, for iPad use, I'd either open it in the Eye TV software and convert using my 264 or otherwise transcode it. (Can't remember the name of the software I use. It's at home )
If you don't want to play back using Eye TV, VLC will play back most movie codecs including EyeTV.

New mac or old , the H 264 will in theory increase the speed which is otherwise painfully slow. My slower version does.
HTH

C

Chris

Edited by cyclic999 (Sat 22-Dec-12 18:18:07)

Standard User nonymouse
(experienced) Sat 22-Dec-12 21:47:09
Print Post

[re: cyclic999] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by cyclic999:
, the H 264 will in theory increase the speed which is otherwise painfully slow. My slower version does.

I converted episode 1 of The Killing (series 2) to dv using the current set up and left it to run overnight so I've no idea how long it took, but the bar wasn't moving very fast when I went to bed!! Then put it straight into iDVD which again took ages, I'm hoping the i7 mini will be noticeably quicker.

A

** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** **
BT Infinity ~37Mbps at mo smile
BT HomeHub v3
DualCore Intel Mac Mini (Leopard), G4 Dual 1GHz(Leopard): OSX 10.5.8; G3 PB (no screen), OSX 10.4, MacBook (
Lion)10.7.3, iPhone4, iPad3
iLive an iLifev.6iWorkv.3What does it all mean

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User cyclic999
(committed) Sun 23-Dec-12 12:21:59
Print Post

[re: nonymouse] [link to this post]

It's MHO that the Eye TV software is slow in exporting, and a fast computer doesn't seem to make that much difference to that initial exporting/converting, which is why I use the alternative software to encode Eye TV material to the format I want.
Comparing my Intel core duo Mac Book pro with my Intel core 2 duo iMac, seems to bear that out.
Of course, it will be faster using a native prog such as iDVD, but Elgato want to sell their products, hence their Turbo 264 HD
I would be more specific if I were at home but that won't be until tomorrow.

Chris
  Print Thread

Jump to