Technical Discussion
  >> Apple Issues

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User 5km
(knowledge is power) Wed 26-Dec-12 21:00:58
Print Post

AirPlay 5.1 sound

[link to this post]

I've noticed something odd...

When I AirPlay an album I've bought on iTunes (on my phone) to my Apple TV I get 5.1 sound. Looking at the track on the PC it is only stereo. (iTunes only synchronised stereo copies frown)

Is there something going on in the background? At first I thought it was 'fake 5.1' but it seems to good to be fake.

So is this real or fake 5.1? If real how do I get the 5.1 copies on my PC?

PS if I play a track that I did not buy through iTunes (copied off CD) then I do only get stereo ... nothing whatsoever out of centre and back r+l.

edit

Damn just realised that everything it playing in 'fake 5.1' ... it's because I forced the aTV to output PLII because it wan't auto selecting and failing to boot all the time.

Still it sounds better then just switching my AMP to 5 channel stereo smile

O2 Broadband Premium LLU
Now on twitter @timmay2

Edited by 5km (Wed 26-Dec-12 21:20:12)

Standard User Pipexer
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 26-Dec-12 21:27:31
Print Post

Re: AirPlay 5.1 sound

[re: 5km] [link to this post]

Like you say in your edit. It's fake 5.1, it is very difficult to pull it off without introducing questionable artifacts. Some devices/software is better than others. I'm sure there will be an option to turn it off somewhere as a lot of audiophiles would not like such a feature.

Zen 8000 Pro
Moderator billford
(moderator) Wed 26-Dec-12 21:31:24
Print Post

[re: 5km] [link to this post]

As it's a track you've bought from the iTunes store, the phone will be playing a version downloaded (streamed?) from iCloud, not from your PC.

I think that if you delete the track from your PC then it will stay in the track list but with an iCloud icon by it1- click that and it will download again, but whether it will be the 5.1 version I don't know.

(When you delete a track that's in iCloud, there's an extra checkbox asking if you also want to delete the iCloud copy. Don't tick it!)

Something similar happens with video content- I read up about that a few days ago but can't find the link I used and anyway it was about SD and HD video, not audio- have a Google around.

edit- I missed your edit crazy. But what I said may still be valid...

1 Assuming you've got "Show iTunes in the Cloud purchases" checked in Prefs => Store.

Bill
bill@thinkbroadband.com __________________Planes and Boats and ... __________________BQMs: IPv4 IPv6

Edited by billford (Wed 26-Dec-12 21:33:07)

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband moderator but it does not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User 5km
(knowledge is power) Wed 26-Dec-12 21:35:08
Print Post

[re: Pipexer] [link to this post]

Hmm ... was actually a setting on the AMP.

aTV is just supplying stereo.

I had to mess about for ages to find a set-up that worked ok. Had to use HDMI direct to the TV with optic to the AMP otherwise the aTV wouldn't boot half the time (i.e. can't have HDMI into the AMP).

So how can I be sure I'm getting real 5.1 if I download a film?

edit

Ok figured that out too ... PLII changes to Dolby D on my AMP.

O2 Broadband Premium LLU
Now on twitter @timmay2

Edited by 5km (Wed 26-Dec-12 21:44:11)

Print Thread

Jump to