Technical Discussion
  >> Apple Issues

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User Nahum
(member) Wed 02-Jan-13 21:35:26
Print Post

Router

[link to this post]

Hi peeps,
I grew tired of my internet connection failing and having to unplug on a frequent basis. Since it was Christmas time I decided to treat myself and buy a new ADSL/modem router to replace my old (cheap) one in the hope of a steadier connection.
My little home network consists of:
An elderly iMac running 10.6.8 (can't upgrade beyond that)
A PC (don't ask)
A printer connected to the iMac via USB (but I would like to add a wireless printer at some point)
An airport express and a few devices (iPhone/iPad) which connect to it

The old adsl modem router, was a four port device with integral WiFi, which I didn't connect to, because the Airport Express (connected into one of the ethernet ports) was better in terms of signal strength and reliability.

I deliberately chose a new modem which had no wifi and figured I would connect the Mac, PC and Airport Express to 3 of the 4 ethernet ports and just use the Airport Express for WiFi.

However, when I received the unit, I realised that I'd messed up by assuming that there would be 4 ethernet ports and there aren't on this modem. The modem I have bought is a D-Link ADSL2+ modem, model DSL-320B and it only has ONE ethernet port.

So, my question(s):

1/ Should I just send the thing back and get another model with 4 ports?
2/ Should I buy a router to give me more ports and if so what should I look for?
3/ Should I consider ditching the Airport Express and buying a router with integrated wireless?

Would welcome your thoughts.
Martin
Standard User micksharpe
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 02-Jan-13 21:51:26
Print Post

Re: Router

[re: Nahum] [link to this post]

Send it back and get a 4-port ADSL modem/router with built-in wireless. Billion kit seems to be popular right now -- see reviews. You can always plug your Airport Express into one of the ethernet ports.

P.S. Also check other sections of these forums for router recommendations.

'Sir, please,' she said ... 'Will you not share your wisdom with us?'
'I have no wisdom,' he told her.
'Your experiences, then?'
'They have been trivial, uninteresting, and full of error.'
Ian M. Banks - Feersum Endjinn
It Ought to be Easy | Greasemonkey scripts

Edited by micksharpe (Wed 02-Jan-13 22:02:04)

Print Thread

Jump to