Technical Discussion
  >> Apple Issues

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Moderator billford
(moderator) Fri 04-Jan-13 08:07:21
Print Post

Quicktime Pro

[link to this post]

Whenever I'm running QT Pro there's continuous traffic (in each direction) to the router at ~1kB/sec, and to the internet at about half that.

I'm not particularly concerned, just curious- does anyone know what it's doing?

edit- never mind, iTunes seems to have a share of it as well, so it's probably Apple apps "phoning home".

Bill
bill@thinkbroadband.com __________________Planes and Boats and ... __________________BQMs: IPv4 IPv6

Edited by billford (Fri 04-Jan-13 09:09:51)

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband moderator but it does not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User ian_c
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 04-Jan-13 10:36:17
Print Post

Re: Quicktime Pro

[re: billford] [link to this post]

It is worth installing Little Snitch to keep an eye on that sort of thing.

Moderator billford
(moderator) Fri 04-Jan-13 10:43:37
Print Post

[re: ian_c] [link to this post]

I'm not sure if my curiosity extends to $35-worth, but it obviously has other advantages tongue

I'll give that some thought, thanks.

Bill
bill@thinkbroadband.com __________________Planes and Boats and ... __________________BQMs: IPv4 IPv6
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband moderator but it does not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User ian_c
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 04-Jan-13 11:19:16
Print Post

You'd be amazed the amount of stuff that phones home.

Standard User cyclic999
(committed) Sat 05-Jan-13 11:41:25
Print Post

I went over my allowance last month and checked with my Little Snitch to see what was going in and out and was amazed - nay shocked, smile to see how much data was being transferred when I wasn't sitting in front of the screen.

Chris

Edited by cyclic999 (Sat 05-Jan-13 11:43:42)

Moderator billford
(moderator) Mon 07-Jan-13 08:50:40
Print Post

[re: cyclic999] [link to this post]

I think I'm going to give it a try, but for credit-card related reasons I won't install it for a few days yet (it'll give me another month before I actually have to pay for it tongue).

A question- I leave the iMac running 24/7, though the display will sleep after about 30 minutes of inactivity. Does Little Snitch have/cause any problems if one or more alerts pop up without being handled reasonably promptly?

Bill
Standard User ian_c
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 07-Jan-13 09:56:55
Print Post

Nope.

Moderator billford
(moderator) Mon 07-Jan-13 10:00:46
Print Post

Succinct and to the point smile

Thanks.

Bill
  Print Thread

Jump to