Technical Discussion
  >> Apple Issues

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User dsch
(member) Mon 07-Jan-13 17:01:03
Print Post

Wireless Setup - Airport or Other

[link to this post]

How does Apple's Airport Extreme compare with other Wireless Routers? As I am replacing my modem, I am considering a wireless modem/router or a modem with a new Airport? Would appreciate any wisdom or advice. Is there any point in waiting for Apple's next incarnation of the Extreme which may or may not have wireless AC?

Thanks
Moderator billford
(moderator) Mon 07-Jan-13 18:54:25
Print Post

Re: Wireless Setup - Airport or Other

[re: dsch] [link to this post]

Personally I wouldn't buy the current version, although I have one which I bought some years ago and which now lives in the spares cupboard.

With only an internal aerial I didn't find the wireless range all that good, it's only got 3 usable Ethernet ports (you need the fourth for the modem) and it doesn't support native IPv6.

It's OK as far as it goes, but you can get much better routers for the money. Even the next version will have to be pretty special to get me to part with my Asus RT-66NU.

(Which doesn't have AC wireless either, but with the speed that the Asus can run at I don't need it tongue)

Bill
bill@thinkbroadband.com __________________Planes and Boats and ... __________________BQMs: IPv4 IPv6
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband moderator but it does not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Moderator billford
(moderator) Thu 10-Jan-13 21:20:19
Print Post

Re: Wireless Setup - Airport or Other

[re: billford] [link to this post]

I've only just found out that Asus do an AC version: £168 at Amazon.

Looks very tasty but, as I haven't got anything that uses AC, even I can't think of an excuse to get one frown

Bill
bill@thinkbroadband.com __________________Planes and Boats and ... __________________BQMs: IPv4 IPv6
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband moderator but it does not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread

Jump to