Technical Discussion
  >> Apple Issues

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User TLM
(legend) Tue 19-Feb-13 20:04:47
Print Post

Switching off personalised ads on iPad?

[link to this post]

Is there any way of doing this? I've had the same ads chasing me around every site I visit, for days. It's not anything I'm even interested in, but a product I'd glanced at once, before deciding it was definitely not what I wanted. I'm now plagued with ads about it ever since, and heartily sick of it.

I went to Google Ads Preferences, and opted out of ads on the web AND ads on search and Gmail. I also deleted ALL of the demographic info Google held on me - some of which was an incorrect guess anyway, but deleted even the ones that were spot on.

I tried to use Youronlinechoices.com to opt out of multiple adservers simultaneously, but the site said it doesn't work with Safari.

The ads are not particularly embarrassing or incriminating - it's nothing I'd mind people knowing I'd been looking at. They're just driving me mad with the unstoppable plugging of things I looked at once, but didn't want.

I can't believe there's no way of stopping this if you happen to be on an iPad.

T.
Moderator billford
(moderator) Tue 19-Feb-13 20:19:50
Print Post

Re: Switching off personalised ads on iPad?

[re: TLM] [link to this post]

There's a free1 ad-blocker extension for Safari- here.

Can't guarantee it works on an iPad, but I wouldn't be without it on the iMac and MacBook smile

1 The author is open to contributions but there's no nag screens. I haven't contributed because I can't find a way that he accepts for payment AND that I can use!

Bill
bill@thinkbroadband.com __________________Planes and Boats and ... __________________BQMs: IPv4 IPv6
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband moderator but it does not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User defcom
(experienced) Tue 19-Feb-13 20:42:17
Print Post

[re: billford] [link to this post]

https://chromeadblock.com/pay/

----------------------------------------------------------------
iMac 27" i7 3.4GHz 16Gb/ram, OS10.8.2, Netgear N900

BTinfinity

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Moderator billford
(moderator) Tue 19-Feb-13 20:45:42
Print Post

[re: defcom] [link to this post]

Yes, I know... Amazon.com won't accept my .co.uk account, I don't have an account with Google (nor do I intend opening one!) and I can't remember what the problem was with PayPal.

If he took Visa I'd pay him!

Bill
bill@thinkbroadband.com __________________Planes and Boats and ... __________________BQMs: IPv4 IPv6
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband moderator but it does not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User TLM
(legend) Tue 19-Feb-13 21:47:31
Print Post

[re: billford] [link to this post]

Alas, not supported. frown

Worth a try though.

Last week it was rugs - all week.

This week, it's FAKE HAIR! I was looking for some gizzmos to style my REAL hair - so don't need the fake variety - but it's been trying to sell me extensions and hairpieces ever since.

T.
Standard User path6336
(member) Wed 20-Feb-13 09:45:04
Print Post

HI, two ways I know of:
On the device go to Settings, General, About,Advertising. In the section Limit Ad Tracking Preferences set it to ON to limit the tracking.
I believe you can opt out from the device by opening http://oo.apple.com from the Safari browser - this takes you to the Apple opt-out panel.
Standard User AEP
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 20-Feb-13 10:02:59
Print Post

[re: path6336] [link to this post]

There is no such setting on my iPad 1.

The website only opts out from ads from the iAd Network. I suspect this may not be the origin of TLM's ads.
Standard User TLM
(legend) Wed 20-Feb-13 11:24:11
Print Post

[re: AEP] [link to this post]

That is correct that I haven't any such setting (mine's also an iPad 1)

And I haven't yet tried the recommended opt-out website, but similar websites I've tried that let you opt out of multiple networks at once are unsupported in Safari.

I would assume the mechanism is similar, whether you're trying to opt out of just one network, or all of them, so if it doesn't work with the other opt-out websites I've already tried, I'm guessing it won't with this new one, either.

T.
Standard User AEP
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 20-Feb-13 11:28:12
Print Post

It wouldn't do any harm to go to that Apple site and opt out (you don't have to do anything, it just automatically opts you out if you visit it - that's Apple for you!); I just wouldn't hold any high hopes that it will solve all your problems. But, I guess, every little bit helps. It would be nice if you could run add-ons like ad blockers and spam blockers on iPads, but that's just not the way they work.
  Print Thread

Jump to