Technical Discussion
  >> Apple Issues

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User janitor
(experienced) Mon 04-Mar-13 15:35:30
Print Post

Failing HDD in macbook air is 32gb enough

[link to this post]

I tried to install lion on my rev a macbook air, it tells me there is a hardware fault that cannot be repaired, backup data and contact a apple reseller, i have seen a 32gb sad that would work with this model, would 32gb be big enough for OS lion.
Standard User time2die
(knowledge is power) Mon 04-Mar-13 15:52:47
Print Post

Re: Failing HDD in macbook air is 32gb enough

[re: janitor] [link to this post]

http://apple.stackexchange.com/questions/17860/how-m...
Standard User Desmond
(sensei) Tue 05-Mar-13 07:13:55
Print Post

[re: janitor] [link to this post]

The OS will fit just fine. It's how much of anything else you want that matters. I have a Dell Mini 9 Hackintosh with a 32Gb SSD running Snow Leopard. It also has Photoshop CS 3, Office 2011 and some other stuff and still has 13Gb of free space. That's fine for the use I put it to, but it wouldn't work as my main machine, which has a user folder that is 120Gb alone and a far wider spread of apps (and Windows) too. That (and ML) all manage to cram into a 240Gb SSD, though with about 20Gb spare in Mac OS (much less - about 6Gb - in Windows.

Monolingual can be used to strip out all non-english files and things like legacy PPC code, which can release a couple of gigs off an installation and applications. I use it in both instances and it needs to be rerun frequently when you have updates, which can introduce new swathes of new help files and the rest in a whole array of languages you will never use.

PS; Just re-ran Monolingual on my MBP stripping out all non English translations and all code save 64bit Intel (it keeps 32 bit code for 32 bit only files, but removes the 32 bit version if there is 64 bit version too. That just shaved 1.4Gb off the system. Most of that has been introduced by updates since the last time I ran Monolingual so running it frequently is worthwhile.

Des

Sky Broadband, Wired, Wireless, VoIP, 1 Mac, 2. Hackintoshes, 1 PC, 2 HTPCs, iPhone, iPad, OS X, Windows 7, Hate and 8 rhyming is not an accident!

Rehab is for quitters

Edited by Desmond (Tue 05-Mar-13 07:40:05)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User janitor
(experienced) Tue 05-Mar-13 07:32:21
Print Post

[re: Desmond] [link to this post]

Thank you, the hdd on the air has very little more than the os, as its mainly used for web surfing.
  Print Thread

Jump to