Technical Discussion
  >> Apple Issues

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User goldenoldie
(knowledge is power) Mon 04-Mar-13 21:20:34
Print Post

Lost 16+GB

[link to this post]

Realised my MBP was running out of room - well it has a 160GB hard drive frown and I have only 34GB available. Yes it is running a bit slow at times.

Now I use Aperture - BUT have a dedicated 500GB external Drive for its library - so it's not the piccies on there that are using up all my internal HD.

I have , but don't actually use, iPhoto - and it had 5000+ pics on it [ I believe about 16GB worth.]

I've exported all of them to the new 1TB external Drive BUT I have not reclaimed that 16GB onto the internal HD .I deleted all the Photos and also the several folders of projects from iPhoto. I've also put a number of Documents and stuff I still need, and actually access regularly , onto the 1TB drive.

How do I find where all these things have left bits behind on the MBP ? it now says I have 38.7GB available and I've used 120.49GB.

I need to reclaim some empty room on the internal HD.

Any ideas for this techno-idiot ? Please - pretty please smile

-------x-------x-------x-------x-------x-------x-------x-------x-------x-------x
If a thing ain't broke --- DON'T FIX IT
Experienced in making a mess of things smile
MacBook Pro on OSX 10.7.5 ,Virgin Super Hub , [ sssh - and a PC wired lappy using XP Pro ] all on Virginmedia 60meg
Moderator billford
(moderator) Tue 05-Mar-13 09:27:01
Print Post

Re: Lost 16+GB

[re: goldenoldie] [link to this post]

Couple of obvious questions- is the Trash empty? Have you run Repair Disk?

Assuming "Yes" to both, maybe some hidden files somewhere... from terminal, the command:

defaults write com.apple.finder AppleShowAllFiles -bool true

then re-starting Finder will allow you to see hidden files (replace "true" with "false" to hide them again).

Otherwise... can't think of anything frown

Bill
____________________________________/white]Planes and Boats and ... __________________BQMs: IPv4 IPv6
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband moderator but it does not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User metalhead41
(knowledge is power) Tue 05-Mar-13 10:10:53
Print Post

Install Grand Perspective, that will show you exactly where your space has gone smile

----------------------------------------------------
We may be human But we're still animals

My Blog | follow me @metalhead41 | Surfin' Bird Dance

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

(knowledge is power) Tue 05-Mar-13 10:30:31
Print Post

[re: billford] [link to this post]

Ah - repair disk - now there's a thought smile

ETA - says disk is fine - and I now have 39GB available

I do not feel capable of messing about in the depths of terminal etc

-------x-------x-------x-------x-------x-------x-------x-------x-------x-------x
MacBook Pro on OSX 10.7.5 ,Virgin Super Hub , [ sssh - and a PC wired lappy using XP Pro ] all on Virginmedia 60meg

Edited by goldenoldie (Tue 05-Mar-13 10:41:20)

Moderator billford
(moderator) Tue 05-Mar-13 11:08:27
Print Post

[re: metalhead41] [link to this post]

Neat little app that, thanks for the link smile

Bill
____________________________________/white]Planes and Boats and ... __________________BQMs: IPv4 IPv6
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband moderator but it does not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Moderator billford
(moderator) Tue 05-Mar-13 11:10:33
Print Post

In reply to a post by goldenoldie:
I do not feel capable of messing about in the depths of terminal etc
Fair enough- I'm usually the same, but to avoid disaster I copy/paste that instruction rather than typing it, and it's never caused me a problem (yet tongue).

Bill

Edited by billford (Tue 05-Mar-13 11:25:30)

Standard User metalhead41
(knowledge is power) Tue 05-Mar-13 11:39:26
Print Post

[re: billford] [link to this post]

You can download an automated version of that, just double click the script to toggle between on and off - can't remember where I got it from though...

----------------------------------------------------
We may be human But we're still animals

My Blog | follow me @metalhead41 | Surfin' Bird Dance
Standard User DRW
(committed) Tue 05-Mar-13 12:14:53
Print Post

How much memory in the machine and are all the ram components visible in About This Mac.

Also do you know if you can increase the memory of the machine to that supplied by Apple

MacTracker application will tell you.
(knowledge is power) Tue 05-Mar-13 12:52:11
Print Post

[re: DRW] [link to this post]

RAM is maxed out to 8GB and has been for over a year

Standard User ian_c
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 05-Mar-13 16:20:21
Print Post

When you were copying things over to the HDD did you create a back up or anything (using CC or similar)? Could there be a redundant archive/ dmg somewhere?

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to