Technical Discussion
  >> Apple Issues

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User billford
(sensei) Fri 22-Mar-13 17:23:59
Print Post

iMac HDD

[link to this post]

The HDD in one of my iMacs is dying... the number of re-allocated sectors is growing at a depressing (though not yet alarming) rate frown

It's waaay out of warranty, not under AppleCare, and not my main machine, but it's too useful to ditch and I don't fancy paying Apple prices for an HDD swap. I've looked at a few videos on the 'net and I'm perfectly happy that it's well within my capabilities.

But I know zilch about SATA drives... the one in there is a 3.5" Seagate Barracuda, 1TB, 7200.12, model ST31000528AS, but I know Apple also use WD drives.

Can I replace it with any SATA drive that will physically fit, or is there anything in particular I should look for?

Bill
A level playing field is level in both directions.________________Planes and Boats and ... _____________BQMs: IPv4 IPv6
Standard User defcom
(experienced) Fri 22-Mar-13 18:23:55
Print Post

Re: iMac HDD

[re: billford] [link to this post]

That drive will be fine, i have changed 2 with the seagate.

Just make sure you check the jumper setting http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KDPOpBi2gtE if i remember correct i removed it, but just check the old one when you have taken it out.

Edit: i used iFixit for instructions http://www.ifixit.com/Device/iMac

----------------------------------------------------------------
iMac 27" i7 3.4GHz 16Gb/ram, OS10.8.3, Netgear N900

BTinfinity

Edited by defcom (Fri 22-Mar-13 18:27:25)

Standard User stniuk
(experienced) Fri 22-Mar-13 19:31:41
Print Post

[re: defcom] [link to this post]

If you don't need a lot of space have a look at ssd's they are very quick.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User billford
(sensei) Fri 22-Mar-13 19:48:31
Print Post

[re: stniuk] [link to this post]

I don't need a great deal of space, though more than needed is a lot better than less!

Nor is speed particularly a factor, an ssd would be OTT. I'm more interested in "cheap" tongue

I was looking at this one from WD.

It's big enough and I like the price, but want to know in advance if there any obvious gotchas, like whether it matters if it's S.M.A.R.T-compatible like the one that's dying.

Bill
A level playing field is level in both directions.________________Planes and Boats and ... _____________BQMs: IPv4 IPv6
Standard User TheHorseman
(knowledge is power) Wed 27-Mar-13 18:27:50
Print Post

I had to have the drive replaced in my mid-2010 iMac. I think one of the problems is that the HDD has a temp monitor in it and you lose that with a non Apple HDD. The answer to that is the app HDD Fan Control. Works fine in my iMac.

BT -> Zen -> F2S -> Bulldog -> Be* -> BT Infinity 2
Say it with flowers, give her a Triffid smile
Standard User billford
(elder) Wed 27-Mar-13 19:01:44
Print Post

[re: TheHorseman] [link to this post]

I decided that as I'd intended to upgrade to the latest iMac in the summer (if we ever get one!) I'd do it a few months early, so haven't yet got around to swapping the drive.

But that's very useful to know, I'll download a copy before I start, thanks smile

Bill
Standard User defcom
(experienced) Wed 27-Mar-13 20:18:08
Print Post

[re: TheHorseman] [link to this post]

"I think one of the problems is that the HDD has a temp monitor in it and you lose that with a non Apple HDD"

I just prised it off gently and reattached it the new hard drive.

----------------------------------------------------------------
iMac 27" i7 3.4GHz 16Gb/ram, OS10.8.3, Netgear N900

BTinfinity
Standard User billford
(elder) Wed 27-Mar-13 20:35:48
Print Post

[re: defcom] [link to this post]

You can do that with older iMacs, I forget the change-over date (I think it was when the aluminium ones replaced the white plastic ones) but the later ones have an extra connector on the drive to an internal sensor.

I suspect it's the same sensor that SMART uses, Apple are just making it difficult to install non-Apple drives. Or making it obvious when it's been done.

Bill
Standard User AEP
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 27-Mar-13 20:38:56
Print Post

I'm a bit bemused as to why a separate sensor should be needed. As you say, SMART provides this already.
Standard User billford
(elder) Wed 27-Mar-13 20:45:56
Print Post

[re: AEP] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by AEP:
SMART provides this already.
It does now, I'm not sure how widespread it was in the early days of the iMac. Even now, I gather that some manufacturers implement different bits to others.

I'd guess that Apple used a separate sensor in those days to give them a wider choice of drives, but's that's all it is- a guess.

As to using a separate cable to connect to an existing sensor on later drives- you're not supposed to take Macs apart and use unauthorised replacements, it cuts into the profit margin tongue

Bill
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to