Technical Discussion
  >> Apple Issues

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User nonymouse
(experienced) Mon 25-Mar-13 19:50:25
Print Post

Audio Question

[link to this post]

I have a set of original Harmon Kardon Soundsticks, you know, the clear plastic ones.

I don't want to replace them with the wireless version as that would entail paying another £179, which seems silly.

Anyway, my problem is that, for various reasons, that would be too complex to explain here, I cannot easily plug them into the USB port of either the computer (a new Mac Mini) or the USB hard drive that is also connected to the mini.

So I looked on the web and found a plug which describes itself as a bluetooth headphone socket (7dayshop Bluetooth Stereo Audio Receiver and USB Wall Charger Plug). This has a 3.5mm audio jack and a USB port, I checked with the reseller and they said that the speakers would work with the plug... it appears they weren't telling the truth...

So, I looked again on the web and found on eBay, a 3.5mm audio jack to female USB connector... (Came from China in about 4 days for £1.89 inc postage!!!)

The bluetooth plug works with headphones and another freebie speaker (unpowered- very quiet), by opening the Sound control panel and choosing the 7dayshopBluetoothAudioReceiver as the output device...

Unfortunately nothing comes out of the Harmon Kardons when plugged into the USB port on the plug nor via the audio jack-USB cable...

Any advice would be gratefully received, before I send back the plug thingy to the seller and drill a hole through the wall to plug the speakers directly into the computer's USB ports.

Films, TV &c are not very good if you can't hear them!! frown frown

A

** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** **
BT Infinity ~37Mbps at mo smile
BT HomeHub v3
DualCore Intel Mac Mini (Leopard), G4 Dual 1GHz(Leopard): OSX 10.5.8; G3 PB (no screen), OSX 10.4, MacBook (
Lion)10.7.3, iPhone4, iPad3
iLive an iLifev.6iWorkv.3What does it all mean
Standard User defcom
(experienced) Tue 26-Mar-13 12:44:58
Print Post

Re: Audio Question *DELETED*

[re: nonymouse] [link to this post]

Post deleted by defcom
Standard User flippery
(member) Tue 26-Mar-13 13:57:13
Print Post

[re: defcom] [link to this post]

The usb port on plug would only be for charging purposes.
You need to connect from 3.5 mm audio socket to speaker input socket.
Pair the Bluetooth with your Bluetooth on pc.
should be led on plug to show when paired.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User nonymouse
(experienced) Tue 26-Mar-13 14:40:21
Print Post

[re: flippery] [link to this post]

The Bluetooth plug worked with the cheap speakers and headphones,but didn't work with the USB speaker (Harmon Kardon) connected to the audio port via a 3.5mm-female USB connector cable.

Neither have I been able to get the speakers to work with an Airport Express, again via the audio jack or the USB.

I was up until gone midnight and came to the conclusion that I'm going to buy a set of wireless enabled HK speakers

frown frown

A

** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** **
BT HomeHub v3
DualCore Intel Mac Mini (Leopard), G4 Dual 1GHz(Leopard): OSX 10.5.8; G3 PB (no screen), OSX 10.4, MacBook (
Standard User carterrowe
(newbie) Thu 23-May-13 13:32:49
Print Post

Re: Audio Question

[re: nonymouse] [link to this post]

I bought one of the 7day shop plugs, it works really well...

As I understand it any device can be connected to the headphone (output) socket on the plug and just work...

So if you can connect cheap (presumably unpowered) speakers to the plug & they go, then your other powered speakers should also just work.

Do the HK speakers work when their (headphone style) input is connected to some other source?

If not then is it a setting/switch/input/output/volume problem with the HKs?

I don't know what the HKs look like or anything much about them, but on some other speakers I've got they have a combined on/off/vol switch & if that is set to min/off, then nothing comes out...

Niq
Standard User nonymouse
(experienced) Fri 24-May-13 13:47:13
Print Post

Re: Audio Question

[re: carterrowe] [link to this post]

As a follow up, after buying the wireless HK speaker...

Yes, you guessed it... Too much 2.4GHz activity...

When the eyeTV is beaming the video around, it interferes too much with the audio...

The wifi speakers are now plugged in via the USB port... Which entailed another hole drilled through the wall smile

Now I have some decent speakers for my Garden Office smile

A

BT HomeHub v3
  Print Thread

Jump to