Technical Discussion
  >> Apple Issues

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User mrnelster
(knowledge is power) Sat 01-Jun-13 21:56:26
Print Post

iTunes

[link to this post]

Anybody know there way around the settings?

I have just set up an iPhone 4 to replace my dying 3GS. I have deleted the sync history on the 3GS and given it to my daughter to use for surfing and as an MP3 player. Now my text messages to my wife's phone are also returning immediately to mine. I think it may be both phones have the same name, as I have historically restored my new phone from the old one and not reset the sync history. Anybody come across this before?

iTunes can be a ridiculously convoluted interface at times. confused
Standard User brightd
(experienced) Sun 02-Jun-13 11:26:40
Print Post

Re: iTunes

[re: mrnelster] [link to this post]

iMessage messages (as opposed to standard text messages that us the same app but are to non-Apple devices) use the Apple ID rather than the phone number. Do you and your wife share an Apple ID. My wife and I do for apps, music etc, but she has her own ID for things like messaging, Find my iPhone etc.

David

plusnet Broadband Extra customer
DrayTek Vigor 2830n
Standard User mrnelster
(knowledge is power) Sun 02-Jun-13 12:39:22
Print Post

[re: brightd] [link to this post]

Yes we do David.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User stniuk
(experienced) Tue 04-Jun-13 10:55:40
Print Post

[re: mrnelster] [link to this post]

Might help:
http://lifehacker.com/5849916/the-ins-and-outs-of-us...

The trick is to keep your apple id's the same but only for the store, you need separate iCloud id's for each person for messaging purposes. When you set up your cloud id it will ask which id to use, take out the unneeded one and leave the new id on the other phone. It sounds complicated but when you are doing it works. We have three devices using the same apple ids for store but all with different messaging id's
Standard User mrnelster
(knowledge is power) Wed 05-Jun-13 00:47:08
Print Post

[re: stniuk] [link to this post]

Thanks for that.

I actually stumbled across that in the options this afternoon and sorted the message issue and I have spent the evening deleting the sync history of all of the iPhones and iPads in the house, so I can link all but my own phone to my wife's iTunes account.

I can't believe how much free carp they manage to download every week. Now I'm free from it!
  Print Thread

Jump to