Technical Discussion
  >> Apple Issues

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User DIOGENES
(committed) Sat 27-Jul-13 16:28:49
Print Post

Photos with text for WINDOWS users.

[link to this post]

I have a load of photos on iPhoto [various versions from ancient to current].
The photos are only meaningful if you can read the associated text info.

Looking at the iPhoto 'HELP' there does not seem to be a way to send photos to Windows users, with the text info included for each photo.

Have I missed something obvious?

I assumed that FILE/EXPORT would be the way to go, but that only allows the inclusion of trivial text such as keywords.
I would like to have text info such as "who/what/where/when/why" attached to each photo.

In addition, if I did not use iPhoto, I could probably send the photos from Finder, where the photos are stored in numerous folders, nested in several layers.
It would be nice to be able to send a complete folder to a Windows user, perhaps as an attachment to an email.
Would the Windows user be able to access the photos in nested folders?

Maybe I should just go back to paper letters in envelopes, with prints enclosed?
Not really practicable if there are many people waiting to see the photos.
Standard User billford
(elder) Sat 27-Jul-13 16:40:58
Print Post

Re: Photos with text for WINDOWS users.

[re: DIOGENES] [link to this post]

It's not clear how you want the information to be available but (assuming they're jpegs) you can store pretty much anything you like in the image's EXIF data.

I'm not a Windows user so can't suggest an application (Photoshop will do it, but possibly a bit OTT) but googling will bring up plenty of editors/viewers.

Bill
A level playing field is level in both directions._________________Planes and Boats and ... ______________BQMs: IPv4 IPv6
Standard User flippery
(member) Sat 27-Jul-13 17:46:24
Print Post

look at Phoshare

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User DIOGENES
(committed) Sat 03-Aug-13 09:30:20
Print Post

Thanks for those replies.

That PHOSHARE looks good.

The author explains why he is not continuing with the package in:

https://groups.google.com/forum/?fromgroups=#!topic/...

Pity for users of new Apple kit, but OK for older OS X.

Thanks.
Standard User DIOGENES
(committed) Sun 11-Aug-13 13:31:28
Print Post

[re: billford] [link to this post]

Thanks for
"I'm not a Windows user so can't suggest an application (Photoshop will do it, but possibly a bit OTT) but googling will bring up plenty of editors/viewers."

After reading Customer Views of iPhoto on:

https://itunes.apple.com/gb/app/iphoto/id408981381?m...

maybe I am wasting my time trying to cope with a duff software package [iPhoto'11]?

Apart from Photoshop, which seems an expensive package for professionals, what photo software packages do users find good?

It would help if they could cope with sending photos with text to PC Windows users.
And ideally it should be easy to transfer 2000 existing pix from iPhoto to the new package, without a lot of messing around.

Any ideas?
Standard User ian_c
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 11-Aug-13 13:59:02
Print Post

I may be misunderstanding her but....

In addition, if I did not use iPhoto, I could probably send the photos from Finder, where the photos are stored in numerous folders, nested in several layers.

The iPhoto and Aperture libraries are just nested folders within the library package (use "Show Package Contents" under right-click and navigate to Masters).

Standard User DRW
(committed) Mon 12-Aug-13 11:30:56
Print Post

[re: ian_c] [link to this post]

Have you considered creating a series of web pages containing the information and information and uploading this to a server.

I do this using Aperture - however I do not put much text information into the page however Aperture will allow additional information to be stored with the image and the information can go into the web page (I think)
A lot of features are shared between Aperture and iPhoto
Standard User DIOGENES
(committed) Thu 22-Aug-13 16:17:57
Print Post

[re: billford] [link to this post]

"you can store pretty much anything you like in the image's EXIF data."

Yes, nearly all the photos are JPEG.

But how does an ordinary novice user of iPhoto'11 access the Exif data?

This sort of thing used to be dealt with in the David Pogue books [ the Missing Manual series ] but although the 867 page 'OSX Mountain Lion' book ANSWERS MOST QUESTIONS, IT DOES NOT DEAL WITH iPhoto.
For that we have to buy a separate book
That says something about the additional complexity brought about by over development of bloated software.
Complexity snatched from the jaws of simplicity?

So I would be grateful for a few pointers on how to use Exif, so I can send photos with text descriptions/captions to users of Windows PCs.
Standard User billford
(elder) Fri 23-Aug-13 08:45:40
Print Post

In reply to a post by DIOGENES:
So I would be grateful for a few pointers on how to use Exif, so I can send photos with text descriptions/captions to users of Windows PCs.
As I said, try Google.

For your Windows users, this might be of interest:
You may be a bit surprised but Windows Explorer is actually a wonderful Exif editor. Just right click any image file, choose Properties and click the Details tab. You can now edit a wide range of metadata associated with that image from the camera model to the shooting date to copyright information and more.

Bill
A level playing field is level in both directions._________________Planes and Boats and ... ______________BQMs: IPv4 IPv6

Save fuel- take a bus. Then you can siphon out the diesel at leisure.
  Print Thread

Jump to