Technical Discussion
  >> Apple Issues

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User koru
(experienced) Thu 29-Aug-13 17:38:10
Print Post

Help with Terminal script

[link to this post]

My iMac has recently started suffering a minor, but annoying, glitch which seems to be caused by Google Software Update, which seems to be an obligatory feature of any Google software, such as Google Chrome or Google Earth. It checks for software updates on Earth and Drive many times per day and each time this seems to trigger an automatic scan by my antivirus software. The annoying part is that the scan notification pops up and somehow this means that my computer is disabled for a few seconds and then I need to re-click on the application I was using in order to make it the "active" application once more. Not the most dreadful thing to have to put up with, but it is annoying in the same way that a mosquito is annoying.

Anyway, I hunted around a bit and found a page in Google support which seems to provide instructions that would allow me to set the update to occur, say, once a day, which would be fine. https://support.google.com/installer/answer/147176?h...

Trouble is, it involves writing some instructions in Terminal and they seem to have missed a vital part. It says:

To change how frequently Google Software Update checks for updates, execute the following in the Terminal application:

$ defaults write com.google.Keystone.Agent checkInterval
where is the elapsed time in seconds between update checks.

Can anyone tell me where I should insert the number of seconds?
Standard User bet_here
(learned) Fri 30-Aug-13 02:36:13
Print Post

Re: Help with Terminal script

[re: koru] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by koru:
$ defaults write com.google.Keystone.Agent checkInterval
where is the elapsed time in seconds between update checks.

Can anyone tell me where I should insert the number of seconds?

At the end.
e.g.
defaults write com.google.Keystone.Agent checkInterval 86400
(once every 24 hours)

defaults write com.google.Keystone.Agent checkInterval 604800
(once a week)

HTH, Simon
Standard User koru
(experienced) Fri 30-Aug-13 09:27:57
Print Post

[re: bet_here] [link to this post]

Thank you so much. By guesswork it was the most likely place, but I didn't want to rely on guesswork. Let's hope it works.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User koru
(experienced) Fri 30-Aug-13 09:30:10
Print Post

Your examples don't start with the $. Is that deliberate? That is, do you think I should not include the $?
Standard User billford
(elder) Fri 30-Aug-13 09:55:55
Print Post

The $ is the prompt symbol, like the ">" in DOS, the OS puts that at the start of the line.

You just type the command.

Bill
A level playing field is level in both directions._________________Planes and Boats and ... ______________BQMs: IPv4 IPv6
Standard User koru
(experienced) Fri 30-Aug-13 14:46:33
Print Post

[re: billford] [link to this post]

Doh!
Standard User koru
(experienced) Mon 02-Sep-13 11:50:48
Print Post

Unfortunately, this script does not seem to have worked. Do I need to use sudo, maybe?
Standard User koru
(experienced) Fri 06-Sep-13 11:32:30
Print Post

I gave up in the end, and simply uninstalled Google drive and Google Earth. Why they can't include a preferences setting to control how often the automatic updates take place is beyond me.
Standard User ian_c
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 06-Sep-13 12:50:48
Print Post

An alternative approach is to install Little Snitch. http://www.obdev.at/products/littlesnitch/index.html This is an excellent tool that lets you know every time a service "phones home" and gives you to opportunity to block it, either "Until Quit" or "Forever".

Print Thread

Jump to