Technical Discussion
  >> Apple Issues

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User DIOGENES
(committed) Mon 02-Sep-13 17:15:35
Print Post

Restore OS X from back up.- MacBookPro

[link to this post]

A family member has a new MBP on OS X 10.8.3.
The Macs we bought in 2002 came with CDs to enable the user to restore the OS X after some disaster.
Nothing like this seems to have come with the MBP.

I would like to be independent of the web sites etc which might provide the necessary data.

So I have a new LaCie 3TB external hard drive which I can use for periodic back up, and also for storing OS X etc.

I plan to use CarbonCopyCloner or superduper to do the copying of the entire hard disk contents.
Any ideas which of these packages is preferred for this task?
I assume either would work.
Standard User billford
(elder) Mon 02-Sep-13 17:27:55
Print Post

Re: Restore OS X from back up.- MacBookPro

[re: DIOGENES] [link to this post]

Can't help with CarbonCopyCloner or superduper but the usual way is to use a memory stick as a boot device then use Migration Assistant to restore from backup. (edit-Assuming the backup is on a Time Machine drive)

Instructions

Bill
A level playing field is level in both directions._________________Planes and Boats and ... ______________BQMs: IPv4 IPv6

Edited by billford (Mon 02-Sep-13 17:35:53)

Standard User brightd
(experienced) Mon 02-Sep-13 18:49:31
Print Post

Back-up using time machine and then there is an option to restore from the time machine backup. It was very simple when my son's MBP had to be replaced because of a fault.

This should help

David

plusnet Unlimited customer
DrayTek Vigor 2830n

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User DIOGENES
(committed) Thu 05-Sep-13 12:18:17
Print Post

[re: billford] [link to this post]

Thanks for those two similar helpful replies.
I have never used Time Machine, as the early versions seemed to be just a pain.
I guess things have now improved, and I will try it - after finding out more about it.

A pal has used TM on a MBP but after a crash by iPhoto '11, found that the most recent work had not been saved by Time Machine.
I don't have details of time interval specified.

As far as I can see, with a laptop such as MBP, used anywhere in the house, TM can only work when you have connected a large bulky external hard drive to it. So you have to remember to make that connection every so often, otherwise the "automatic" back up will not be taking place.

For " use a memory stick" I guess that means something like this:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Lexar-Jumpdrive-Flash-Drive-...
Please tell me if I am wrong.

Thanks for the info.
Standard User billford
(elder) Thu 05-Sep-13 16:06:59
Print Post

In reply to a post by DIOGENES:
As far as I can see, with a laptop such as MBP, used anywhere in the house, TM can only work when you have connected a large bulky external hard drive to it. So you have to remember to make that connection every so often, otherwise the "automatic" back up will not be taking place.
Doesn't have to be large and bulky but yes, it works best with continuous access to an external drive. I think it can be configured to use a NAS drive, but I'm not sure how.
For " use a memory stick" I guess that means something like this:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Lexar-Jumpdrive-Flash-Drive-...
Please tell me if I am wrong.
Yup, that's the gadget. I normally use Kingston devices (like these), but any good-quality one will do (reliability is a distinct advantage!).

Bill
A level playing field is level in both directions._________________Planes and Boats and ... ______________BQMs: IPv4 IPv6
Standard User brightd
(experienced) Fri 06-Sep-13 09:48:41
Print Post

I have a Buffalo TeraStation attached via EtherNet to my router. I then back up my iMac to that using TM. That way TM works whenever the iMac is attached to the network, which in my case is all of the time. Both of my sons have a similar set-up but with different NAS devices. You just need to check that he NAS is TM compatible. One of my sons backs up multiple Apple devices to different directories in the same NAS.

David

DrayTek Vigor 2830n
Standard User DIOGENES
(committed) Mon 09-Sep-13 08:49:37
Print Post

[re: brightd] [link to this post]

"I have a Buffalo TeraStation attached via EtherNet to my router."
Yes that looks good but £480 for Buffalo is beyond my budget.
I wonder if I could use my LaCie 3TB desk top hard drive [ 301549EK ] linked by ethernet cable to my wireless router [ Netgear N300 WNR2200 ] ?
I am confident that Time Machine could recognise the LaCie if it was directly connected to the laptop by cable, but not sure if it would work over the wireless network via the router.

Any thoughts?
Standard User brightd
(experienced) Mon 09-Sep-13 14:55:00
Print Post

This hard disk has SATA, Firewire and USB ports but not Ethernet. So unless you have a USB port on your router that allows it to attach there and share it you will have to attach directly.

David

DrayTek Vigor 2830n
Standard User DIOGENES
(committed) Mon 09-Sep-13 16:32:46
Print Post

[re: brightd] [link to this post]

Thanks for that reply.
All now clear - direct connection must be used.
I think I must be losing my grip, not even able to see what is in front of me!
Standard User DRW
(committed) Fri 13-Sep-13 12:52:15
Print Post

As it is a new MB it should have a Thunderbolt connection so use this to connect to a Thunderbolt connected drive and use SuperDuper to run scheduled back ups each day, if SD is set to run the delta type update then the back up is quite quick.

I use Time Machine to recover from erroneous deletions during the time between SuperDuper back ups.

Perfection would involve two sets of Thunderbolt drives so that you had two levels of back up, with perhaps one drive stored off site (at a neighbours house for example) swapped over each day or week - according to your rate of data change.

Two maxims to remember

Disc drives exist in one of two states - About to die, or dead.

Data does not exist unless it exists in two or more locations.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to