Technical Discussion
  >> Apple Issues

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User DIOGENES
(committed) Sat 28-Sep-13 16:07:10
Print Post

sudo periodic kron

[link to this post]

With our G4 iBook 10.3.9 and G4 iMac 10.2.8 it was thought advisable, based on a note in this Forum, to run a housekeeping routine from time to time [ kron? ]

Using Terminal we just typed:

sudo periodic daily weekly monthly

And after a few minutes of brush and dustpan work the thing was apparently cleaned up.

Now, in the broad sunlit uplands of 10.8.3 on a MacBookPro, is it still a good idea to run that procedure?

Helpful? Harmful? Unnecessary?

Any views?
Standard User AEP
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 28-Sep-13 16:15:13
Print Post

Re: sudo periodic kron

[re: DIOGENES] [link to this post]

Those tasks run automatically, so there is no need to run them manually.
Standard User Adrian
(experienced) Sun 29-Sep-13 09:24:20
Print Post

[re: AEP] [link to this post]

Unless things have changed, they were set to run at something like 03:00, which is fine if you computer is on and awake at that time. If your machine is off then you either need to run them manually or change the time. I used to have Macaroni installed, a pref pane that among other things allowed you to change the time very easily.

Adrian

**"Consturbata sunt visera mea"**

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User billford
(elder) Sun 29-Sep-13 09:28:48
Print Post

[re: DIOGENES] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by DIOGENES:
Now, in the broad sunlit uplands of 10.8.3 on a MacBookPro
Those "broad sunlit uplands" are clouding over a bit... OS X is up to 10.8.5 now.

Bill
A level playing field is level in both directions.

__________Fold at Home_________________Planes and Boats and ... ______________BQMs: IPv4 IPv6
Standard User AEP
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 29-Sep-13 09:39:34
Print Post

[re: Adrian] [link to this post]

If your computer is switched off then they really don't need to run (although they will anyway when the machine is switched on again) as the boot process carries out most of the tasks anyway. If the computer is asleep when they are due to run they will run when it wakes up.

So, no point in running them manually.
Standard User billford
(elder) Mon 30-Sep-13 10:28:59
Print Post

[re: Adrian] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Adrian:
Unless things have changed, they were set to run at something like 03:00, which is fine if you computer is on and awake at that time.
I think it may be 04:00, if so it would explain the occasional flurry of activity I see at that time on the temperature monitor... I'd often wondered what caused it smile

Bill

__________Fold at Home_________________Planes and Boats and ... ______________BQMs: IPv4 IPv6
Standard User AEP
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 30-Sep-13 10:36:17
Print Post

[re: billford] [link to this post]

By default it's any time between 3:15 and 5:30 or, if the computer is sleeping at that time, when it next wakes up.
Standard User billford
(elder) Wed 02-Oct-13 07:53:05
Print Post

In reply to a post by AEP:
By default it's any time between 3:15 and 5:30 or, if the computer is sleeping at that time, when it next wakes up.
Do you know if it's dependant on CPU activity at the time it wants to run? All my cores are maxed out 24/7 running a distributed computing app ((Folding@Home), though admittedly at the lowest possible priority.

Bill

Standard User AEP
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 02-Oct-13 08:03:31
Print Post

[re: billford] [link to this post]

I don't know the answer to that, but I would very much doubt it. The work that these scripts do is mainly disk-bound so wouldn't affect, or be affected by, cpu-intensive tasks. TBH, provided you have lots of free disk space - and who doesn't nowadays - they shouldn't be necessary. And if you've got a SSD I would even consider the thought of running them less frequently or disabling them altogether; you want to keep changes to SSDs to a minimum.
Standard User billford
(elder) Wed 02-Oct-13 08:18:53
Print Post

That's what I suspected, but thanks for agreeing smile

And yes, I've got plenty of disk space tongue The internal 1TB drive is only about 25% full, most of my stuff is on an external 2TB drive, that's about 75% full (as is the 2TB backup drive).

Good point about not messing with SSDs more than necessary... but none of my usage is disk-limited to any significant extent so I don't need them. 7,200rpm SATA's suit me fine smile

Bill

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to