Technical Discussion
  >> Apple Issues

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User TLM
(legend) Thu 03-Oct-13 16:52:24
Print Post

Apple ID - can't reset password

[link to this post]

Last night, when trying to access the Apple Store (ironically to get a FREE update of FREE software I already had, so shouldn't really need any security), I received the usual password prompt, and entered what I thought had always been my password.

No second chances - it came straight back and said my account was locked for security reasons. I wasn't aware of having forgotten my password, or having made any mistake. mad

So, went through the motions of trying to reset the password. The rules for password strength seem pretty straightforward: must be at least eight characters, have one or more letters (one of which must be upper case), one or more numbers, no identical consecutive characters, not a password you've used in the past year.

Despite complying with ALL of this (green lights even come on to show they're fulfilled), I keep being told my password is "not complex enough", and I need to choose another. I don't know what additional complexity it needs, when I've already followed all the rules. I also don't know why the account was "locked" after just a single login attempt, when I wasn't aware of any mistakes.

Luckily, I don't use the Apple store very much anyway, but even less likely to use it now, as I can no longer even upgrade freebies without an obstacle course.

Any ideas? confused

It's on an iPad 1, in case that makes any difference, but I'm assuming the issue is at account level, and not platform specific.

T.
Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Thu 03-Oct-13 17:33:14
Print Post

Re: Apple ID - can't reset password

[re: TLM] [link to this post]

From http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4232
Your password must have a minimum of 8 characters, not contain more than 3 consecutive identical characters, and include a number, an uppercase letter, and a lowercase letter.

__________________________________________________________________________a bit harsh and a tad childish__________________
Standard User TLM
(legend) Thu 03-Oct-13 17:52:15
Print Post

[re: BatBoy] [link to this post]

Isn't that paraphrasing what I just said? It even has a checklist, with "lights" on it, that go green once your password complies. I can get a full house of green lights, which should mean the password is acceptable, but it still claims it's "not complex enough". I don't really want a more complex password, because it's hard to remember, but also hard to type on a tablet. But irrespective of that, I can't remedy it, if I don't know why it's rejecting my attempts. An attempt that meets all the criteria should be accepted.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User AEP
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 03-Oct-13 18:09:57
Print Post

It may be a blessing in disguise. I find that my iPad 1 is becoming more and more useless as it crashes many times a day now. I think the reason is that updated applications are just too much for it, being designed for the newer iPads, so it may be better not to be able to update. It is really annoying on a device which is only a few years old and was not exactly cheap. I'm seriously tempted to switch to the new Nexus 7, which has had stunning reviews.

I don't know the answer to your question. I do know that when my wife "forgot" her iTunes password (that'll teach her to let a 10-year old play with her iPad!) in the end we had to create a new iTunes account. Just couldn't retrieve, or change, her current account.
Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Thu 03-Oct-13 18:32:58
Print Post

Not quite - there must be 2 letters.

__________________________________________________________________________a bit harsh and a tad childish__________________
Standard User TLM
(legend) Thu 03-Oct-13 19:32:18
Print Post

[re: BatBoy] [link to this post]

All my attempts have had many more than two letters. It rejects all of them, but beyond saying they're "not complex enough", does nothing to explain why.
Standard User TLM
(legend) Thu 03-Oct-13 19:47:57
Print Post

[re: AEP] [link to this post]

I'm having the same problem with the crashing. Although I draw the line at scrapping it while it's still working (just!), I've lready made up my mind my next tablet won't be from Apple. My elderly mum, who's only just joined the Internet Age, has a Nexus (presumably 6 or even 5, as it's certainly not the latest), and has been using it much more than I expected. I honestly thought she'd try it twice before it began collecting dust, as she's never, ever got to grips with a conventional Windows PC or laptop, though both were in the house.

Of course, her expectations of computing and mine may be very different. She doesn't do much beyond e-mail, and Googling medical conditions she hasn't got, so she can self-diagnose. But her tablet doesn't crash umpteen times a day, which is more than can be said of mine. I try all sorts - full reboot, clearing the cache etc. But not sure any of these really helps, as any perceived improvement is so shortlived, it may well be incidental. Close to hurling the damn thing on the floor and having to replace it (with something else) more than once.

T.
Standard User zebedee
(knowledge is power) Mon 07-Oct-13 19:24:20
Print Post

In reply to a post by TLM:
Last night, when trying to access the Apple Store (ironically to get a FREE update of FREE software I already had, so shouldn't really need any security), I received the usual password prompt, and entered what I thought had always been my password.

No second chances - it came straight back and said my account was locked for security reasons. I wasn't aware of having forgotten my password, or having made any mistake. mad

So, went through the motions of trying to reset the password. The rules for password strength seem pretty straightforward: must be at least eight characters, have one or more letters (one of which must be upper case), one or more numbers, no identical consecutive characters, not a password you've used in the past year.

Despite complying with ALL of this (green lights even come on to show they're fulfilled), I keep being told my password is "not complex enough", and I need to choose another. I don't know what additional complexity it needs, when I've already followed all the rules. I also don't know why the account was "locked" after just a single login attempt, when I wasn't aware of any mistakes.

Luckily, I don't use the Apple store very much anyway, but even less likely to use it now, as I can no longer even upgrade freebies without an obstacle course.

Any ideas? confused

It's on an iPad 1, in case that makes any difference, but I'm assuming the issue is at account level, and not platform specific.

T.

The App Store was offline this morning (as were other countries I believe) so maybe that had something to do with your problem last night.

Seems to be running fine now so you could try again.

The original Zebedee since 2001

Edited by zebedee (Mon 07-Oct-13 19:25:06)

Standard User TLM
(legend) Tue 08-Oct-13 10:55:58
Print Post

[re: zebedee] [link to this post]

Probably not a good idea of me to use "last night" in a post that might be read days or weeks later! wink

In this instance, "last night" was several days before the outage you mention, so unless it had been up and down the whole time, and my problems were just a hint of things to come, I doubt it's related.

It finally would accept a password, albeit not any of the ones I wanted. It still refused to say in what respect the others were "not complex enough", and the one it eventually accepted was the same length and form as the others, so no logical reason it should be accepted as "more complex".

I also never found out why I was locked out in the first place, after just a single login attempt, which I didn't think had been wrong. Don't you usually get three strikes or something? Locking on a first try seems disproportionate. Unless someone else had had a crack at it first?

The security is getting ever more onerous. Recently, it insisted I supply my cc details, and set up "secret questions", even though I use the store mostly for free stuff. I had been used to supplying card details only on an "as you go" basis, for the very occasional things I did buy, but suddenly, it insisted I associate them permanently with my account. To my mind, that increases the security risk. I don't really want my payment details permanently on record, if I only very rarely buy anything, and then usually for pennies! To have to go along with it, to continue to avail yourself of the free stuff, is draconian.

T.
Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Tue 08-Oct-13 13:30:54
Print Post

You can delete the credit card information on your AppleID

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to