Technical Discussion
  >> Apple Issues

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User meditator
(fountain of knowledge) Wed 15-Jan-14 15:51:47
Print Post

Of mice and men

[link to this post]

I know this is a bit of a dumb-sounding question but bear with me.

I'm migrating from Windows to Mac and, not having yet bought the Mac (an iMac), I've been wondering if I could use just any basic wired mouse with it, rather than Apple's which has had not too good a press.

My guess is that I will be able to, since USB is supposed to be universal. However, I'm not sure if I'd first need to uninstall the Apple mouse. When Mac OSX detects a mouse on a USB port does it perform an automatic install particular to that mouse? (Let's assume a wired type only). In other words, does OSX download any sort of identifier or name from the mouse itself? For instance, if I were to now use a Logitech wired optical mouse on the Mac, would the Mac end up with something like "Logitech optical mouse" in its Mouse properties?

Am just wanting to avoid any potential for ending up with the Mac thinking that it's got two mice installed instead of just one. Does perhaps the action of pulling out the USB lead automatically cause an uninstall of the mouse, whether on Windows or a Mac computer, ie. literally "plug n' play"? I'm also assuming that there'd be no problem in using a slower version USB mouse, eg, USB2, or even USB1, with a new iMac which would be USB3.

One other thing is that I understand that the Apple wired keyboard comes with two USB ports on it. Presumably, I could plug the mouse into one of those ports? I assume that the keyboard would then share or multiplex the keyboard and mouse signals on the one USB connection into the Mac?
Standard User AEP
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 15-Jan-14 16:10:26
Print Post

Re: Of mice and men

[re: meditator] [link to this post]

The iMac comes with a superb wireless keyboard and mouse. There is no reason to replace them. You can just plug any USB mouse in, but you will lose a number of useful features. It's not recommended to use a different keyboard as the layout differs from normal Windows keyboards.
Standard User billford
(elder) Wed 15-Jan-14 16:24:50
Print Post

I think it's pretty much "yes" to everything on that.

As it happens I quite like the Apple Magic Mouse1, but I've also used Logitech, Microsoft, Labtech and unbranded mouses, USB1 and USB2, plug 'em in (to the Mac or the keyboard) and they just work. Unplug them and they stop, with no fuss or silly error messages. Same with keyboards (though the layout may need to be confirmed when it's detected, OS X makes that easy).

Nor does OS X get confused by multiple simultaneously connected mouses and/or keyboards either (tho' you might, I usually do!). They all just work.

It really is plug and play.

1 you may have seen reports about the earlier Mighty Mouse, which was rubbish.

Bill
A level playing field is level in both directions.

__________Fold at Home_________________Planes and Boats and ... ______________BQMs: IPv4 IPv6

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User time2die
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 15-Jan-14 16:30:14
Print Post

[re: AEP] [link to this post]

Agreed wink also consider Apples Track Pad as it's a nice bit of kit and I bought one of these to replace the wireless mouse which as the previous poster said is a superb bit if kit.

I'm not sure why you are even considering any other mouse if your going to get a IMac .
Standard User meditator
(fountain of knowledge) Wed 15-Jan-14 16:42:11
Print Post

[re: AEP] [link to this post]

A "superb wireless keyboard and mouse"? Hmm, I don't think you'll get many others, including many dyed-in-the-wool Mac enthusiasts, saying that. Just lately, I've read about the vageries of the Apple wired mouse and the latest Apple wireless mouse in various Mac forums and almost everyone seems to be complaining about them - slow, sluggish response, pointer erractically moving, batteries needing replacement after just two months, etc. Ditto with a number of professional blogs on the Web. No thankyou, I'll stick to using the Apple wired keyboard which I can opt for, but will use a wired mouse of a different brand. This morning, just to confirm or not these shortfailings, I visited a local friend of mine who's had an iMac for about a year now. She's no techie but the first question I asked her was about the performance of her Mac keyboard and mouse. She has the wireless version of both. Without any prompting she said the mouse was "just awful".

Of course, what you believe on a personal level to be "acceptable" or "superb" depends on what you've hitherto experienced and been accustomed to. More demanding users, say serious photographers like myself, will demand good precision and utter stability of the pointer, as these are paramount requirements for serious photo-editing work.

Getting back to my basic question, though, you seem to be saying that I'd need to do nothing (no uninstalling). All I'd need do is to unplug the supplied Apple mouse and plug the Logitech one in instead. Right? BTW, I'm not planning on changing the keyboard to a non-Apple one.

[I'm trusting that this topic won't now morphe into an argument instead about the performance of Mac mice].
Standard User ian_c
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 15-Jan-14 16:49:17
Print Post

pointer erractically moving,
I get this occasionally. It is invariably a cat hair under the laser thingy.

I quick blow and it returns to being ergonomically and functionally the best mouse I've used.

Standard User billford
(elder) Wed 15-Jan-14 16:53:44
Print Post

In reply to a post by meditator:
Getting back to my basic question, though, you seem to be saying that I'd need to do nothing (no uninstalling). All I'd need do is to unplug the supplied Apple mouse and plug the Logitech one in instead. Right?
In my experience- right.

I'd add that I don't like the wireless keyboard, but for the reason that Apple don't supply one with a numeric keypad (or didn't when I bought the iMac, haven't looked since), and I hate not having that frown

Bill

__________Fold at Home_________________Planes and Boats and ... ______________BQMs: IPv4 IPv6
Standard User billford
(elder) Wed 15-Jan-14 17:15:42
Print Post

[re: time2die] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by time2die:
I'm not sure why you are even considering any other mouse if your going to get a IMac .
It's handy to know that you can just plug in another wired mouse and it will work… especially when you mis-click and turn Bluetooth off blush

Bill

Standard User meditator
(fountain of knowledge) Wed 15-Jan-14 17:15:47
Print Post

[re: billford] [link to this post]

billford, I'm fairly certain that the mouse I saw my imac friend using earlier today is the Mighty Mouse. It was the wireless one with the curvy top contours. I asked if she'd set it up in the Mouse applet in System Preferences and she assured me she had, but that it still performed terribly - no precision for the photo-work she does, the pointer would often wander off to somewhere totally different if the machine were left unused for more than a few minutes, the batteries quickly ran down, etc. I had a go with it myself and it was like dragging the pointer through treacle.

time2die, I'd dearly love to use the Apple mouse that's supplied (I'm going for a customised iMac) but with the probability of its performance being insufficient for my needs I'm taking no chances and will use a bog-standard Logitech wired mouse instead. I suppose I could always try using the Apple one and see how it goes, and if it's unsatisfactory at least I'll be able to switch to the Logitech one. Hence the query about device name and also whether it's pure plug n' play or not.

As much as I've always admired Apple's innovation and 'pushing of the envelope', they don't always get every bit of design correct 100% of the time, you know. And I'd respectfully suggest that the area of their mice has been one such design blip.
Standard User billford
(elder) Wed 15-Jan-14 17:24:44
Print Post

In reply to a post by meditator:
I had a go with it myself and it was like dragging the pointer through treacle.
I had that during some evenings last summer… turned out (after much hair-tearing) to be an Airplay speaker overheating on a west-facing windowsill.

I can only assume it was causing the router to somehow hog the CPU on the iMac, but I've no idea how. When I moved the speaker out of the sun it returned to normal confused

Not saying that's the cause in your case, but it might not be the mouse that's at fault...

Bill

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to