Technical Discussion
  >> Apple Issues

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User ian_c
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 03-Jun-14 13:05:04
Print Post

Yosemite Same

[link to this post]

So if your mac runs Mavericks it will run Yosemite: http://arstechnica.com/apple/2014/06/psa-the-idevice...

Standard User billford
(elder) Tue 03-Jun-14 13:34:58
Print Post

Re: Yosemite Same

[re: ian_c] [link to this post]

I wonder what the default wallpaper will be...

Bill
A level playing field is level in both directions.

__________Fold at Home_________________Planes and Boats and ... ______________BQMs: IPv4 IPv6
Standard User Spud2003
(fountain of knowledge) Tue 03-Jun-14 18:22:47
Print Post

[re: billford] [link to this post]

Watched the live WWDC stream, found it fairly boring since I don't care about iOS, only interesting thing for me was dumping Objective-C for Swift.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User stniuk
(experienced) Wed 04-Jun-14 09:45:59
Print Post

[re: Spud2003] [link to this post]

I watched it too. The continuity stuff was nice, particularly handoff, this is more enterprise friendly stuff. Start on a mac, get up continue on iPad, then come back and finish on mac. Nice.
Some nice new features in both ios and osx.
Was hoping for a 4th gen Appletv to replace this 2nd gen one, maybe later this year.
Standard User Desmond
(sensei) Wed 04-Jun-14 15:36:07
Print Post

[re: stniuk] [link to this post]

I found the whole continuity bit and the integration of messages and calls on iOS with OS X very impressive. This is what integration of the desktop and mobile environments is all about and where Microsoft, who thought it was all about look and feel, got everything about integration of them in Windows 8 completely wrong. Great to see that they have also integrated WiFi hotspot, so it automatically allows your hardware to log on when WiFi drops out. That will prove very useful on the road, especially since it's clever enough to turn the hotspot on and off on demand to save battery. Maildrop should be useful too. No more mucking about with multipart emails and Hightail to get round email attachment size limitations.

I await playing with all this when it goes live in my new job, which is in a 100% MacOS/iOS environment. They're making the whole set available to me - 27" iMac, 13" MacBoook Air, iPad and iPhone.

Until Apple start allowing third party apps, like iPllayer, on the Apple TV box it will remain a pile of excrement wrapped in black plastic IMHO.

Des

Sky Broadband, Wired, Wireless, VoIP, 1 Mac, 2. Hackintoshes, 1 PC, 2 HTPCs, iPhone, iPad, OS X, Windows 7, Hate and 8 rhyming is not an accident!

Rehab is for quitters
Standard User stniuk
(experienced) Wed 04-Jun-14 18:06:49
Print Post

[re: Desmond] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Desmond:
Until Apple start allowing third party apps, like iPllayer, on the Apple TV box it will remain a pile of excrement wrapped in black plastic IMHO.

Well my Apple TV is great, I stream my ripped movies and music to my tv and stereo without much trouble. As for third party apps, I'm not sure about iplayer I think that it may be the BBC holding back on that but you can use your iOS device, if you have one, to airplay to it.
I would like apple to expand it, maybe they are working on it now to enable it to play games etc.
Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Wed 04-Jun-14 18:46:45
Print Post

You can use Plex media server with Apple TV to watch iPlayer

______________________________________________________________________________________False_Authority_Syndrome__________________
Standard User stniuk
(experienced) Thu 19-Jun-14 09:20:42
Print Post

Looks like some of the continuity stuff won't work will older Macs, it needs BlueTooth LE:

http://www.macrumors.com/2014/06/17/yosemite-handoff...

http://www.macrumors.com/2014/06/18/bluetooth-le-ada...

Looks like my 2009 MacPro is out of the picture.
Hopefully Apple will support BlueTooth adaptors, failing that a hack/adaptor combination may be an option.
  Print Thread

Jump to