Technical Discussion
  >> Apple Issues

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User stniuk
(experienced) Tue 30-Sep-14 00:24:24
Print Post

Security update

[link to this post]

In case you're worried about that BASH security flaw Apple have just posted an update for Lion, Mountain lion and Mavericks.
http://www.macobserver.com/tmo/article/apple-release...
There also may be a problem with iCloud documents with loss of data so for the time being don't reset settings on iCloud and better still make backups.
Standard User Zarjaz
(knowledge is power) Tue 30-Sep-14 23:01:19
Print Post

Re: Security update

[re: stniuk] [link to this post]

Thank you. smile

Standard User caffn8me
(knowledge is power) Sat 04-Oct-14 21:06:01
Print Post

[re: stniuk] [link to this post]

I recompiled bash from source which seems to work. It was quicker than waiting for Apple's update.

Sarah

--
If I can't drink my bowl of coffee three times daily, then in my torment, I will shrivel up like a piece of roast goat

Spiders on coffee - Badass spiders on drugs

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User billford
(elder) Sat 04-Oct-14 21:13:33
Print Post

[re: caffn8me] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by caffn8me:
It was quicker than waiting for Apple's update.
It's been out for nearly a week for everything since Snow Leopard crazy

Bill
A level playing field is level in both directions.

_______________________________________Planes and Boats and ... ______________BQMs: IPv4 IPv6
Standard User ichatergosum
(committed) Tue 07-Oct-14 10:55:39
Print Post

[re: billford] [link to this post]

Caught this thread just today.

In case it might come in handy, check this out. It's a solution for those with PPC or Intel machines, running anything from Tiger onwards.

Anyone given it a bash already?

ZeN 8000 Active
iMac 20" 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo : OS 10.6.8 : iMac 15" 800 MHz G4 : OS 10.4.11 : PowerBook 17" 1.33 GHz G4 : OS 10.4.11 : Home build 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 2600k : Ubuntu 14.04.1 : SpeedTouch 536 v6 : AirPort Extreme Base Station
Standard User caffn8me
(knowledge is power) Wed 08-Oct-14 03:42:10
Print Post

[re: ichatergosum] [link to this post]

I updated to 4.3.28 the day the patch was released. I've had no problems on several diffferent incarnations of OS X, Linux and Solaris.

Sarah

--
If I can't drink my bowl of coffee three times daily, then in my torment, I will shrivel up like a piece of roast goat

Standard User ichatergosum
(committed) Wed 08-Oct-14 09:50:54
Print Post

[re: caffn8me] [link to this post]

My Ubuntu box has bash version 4.3.11(1) at present. I've assumed that with the constant software updates they're keeping it up-to-date and secure. Do you think my assumption is correct?

As for the Apple machines, two (PPC) with 10.4.11 and one (Intel) with 10.6.8, I used the patch from the link I posted to update bash to 4.3.28 on all three.

When did the 4.3.28 patch actually get released? Saturday?

ZeN 8000 Active
iMac 20" 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo : OS 10.6.8 : iMac 15" 800 MHz G4 : OS 10.4.11 : PowerBook 17" 1.33 GHz G4 : OS 10.4.11 : Home build 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 2600k : Ubuntu 14.04.1 : SpeedTouch 536 v6 : AirPort Extreme Base Station

Edited by ichatergosum (Wed 08-Oct-14 09:51:55)

Standard User caffn8me
(knowledge is power) Thu 09-Oct-14 11:53:55
Print Post

[re: ichatergosum] [link to this post]

4.3.11 has multiple vulnerabilities. 4.3.28 was released on 1st October and since then there have been two further updates.

Sarah

--

Print Thread

Jump to