Technical Discussion
  >> Apple Issues

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User goldenoldie
(knowledge is power) Wed 05-Nov-14 22:30:08
Print Post

Read receipts

[link to this post]

Does anyone know if there is a programme I can use with MacMail to get a read receipt ?

I know it's not a foolproof way of learning if your e-mails have been read. I have one person to whom I have to send stuff reasonably regularly BUT I very very rarely get a response so I don't know if it's been read or not. I could send him a text message - but that equally gets the silent treatment.

I personally don't care what he does with the information - that's his prerogative BUT I need to know he's got the stuff .

Any ideas ?

-------x-------x-------x-------x-------x-------x-------x-------x-------x-------x
If a thing ain't broke --- DON'T FIX IT
Experienced in making a mess of things smile
MacBook Pro on OSX 10.9 ,Virgin Super Hub , [ sssh - and a PC wired lappy using XP Pro ] all on Virginmedia 100 meg
Standard User billford
(elder) Thu 06-Nov-14 06:15:14
Print Post

Re: Read receipts

[re: goldenoldie] [link to this post]

Any use?

Another here.

Bill
A level playing field is level in both directions.

_______________________________________Planes and Boats and ... ______________BQMs: IPv4 IPv6
Standard User Kaoshan
(committed) Thu 06-Nov-14 06:16:44
Print Post

Quite a lot of discussion on the Apple Support Communities... unfortunately MacMail does not support read receipts.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User billford
(elder) Thu 06-Nov-14 06:30:27
Print Post

[re: Kaoshan] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Kaoshan:
unfortunately MacMail does not support read receipts.
The problem isn't so much that MacMail doesn't support receipts but that there's no provision for them in the RFC's defining how the email system works.

So any system is either a bit of a fiddle and/or requires the co-operation of the recipient.

More here.

Bill

_______________________________________Planes and Boats and ... ______________BQMs: IPv4 IPv6

Edited by billford (Thu 06-Nov-14 12:36:31)

Standard User goldenoldie
(knowledge is power) Thu 06-Nov-14 07:47:46
Print Post

OH DEAR HEAVENS ! <eeek >

Guys thanks - you've certainly produced a way of doing it , but me fiddle with Terminal ?? ME - the Technophobe ???

Did you read that part of my siggie about being experienced .......

Seriously though thanks - I'll need to find someone who can actually help me set this up - I do like the look of the Raw Computing solution and when someone with rather more savvy than me comes to stay I think we'll get that solution set up.

I know nothing is infallible and for the few occasions when it would really help to know if what I sent has been read, I wonder if it is worth the hassle

I've still had no response to the e-mail and text I sent on Monday frown I followed up the e-mail yesterday with what I thought might be what he was wanting me to do [ language problems ] and of course .........

-------x-------x-------x-------x-------x-------x-------x-------x-------x-------x
If a thing ain't broke --- DON'T FIX IT
Experienced in making a mess of things smile
MacBook Pro on OSX 10.9 ,Virgin Super Hub , [ sssh - and a PC wired lappy using XP Pro ] all on Virginmedia 100 meg
Standard User billford
(elder) Thu 06-Nov-14 08:04:11
Print Post

In reply to a post by goldenoldie:
OH DEAR HEAVENS ! <eeek >

Guys thanks - you've certainly produced a way of doing it , but me fiddle with Terminal ?? ME - the Technophobe ???

Did you read that part of my siggie about being experienced .......
Yes, I did wonder about that tongue

I'm a bit cautious at the terminal myself (especially if anything starts with sudo crazy), and where possible I'll use copy/paste from a set of instructions rather than type it, so I completely understand how you feel!

Bill

Standard User micksharpe
(legend) Thu 06-Nov-14 08:41:45
Print Post

Even if you can configure MacMail to request read receipts, there is no guarantee the the mail client at the other end will send them. For example, you can set Mozilla Thunderbird to ignore all read receipt requests. The same is true of Microsoft Outlook. I'm not sure what happens with web-based mail (e.g. Google Mail). You may just have to live with it.

Sweet Thames, run softly till I end my song,
Sweet Thames, run softly, for I speak not loud or long.

Edited by micksharpe (Thu 06-Nov-14 08:42:06)

Print Thread

Jump to