Technical Discussion
  >> Apple Issues

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User NaNook
(freechataholic) Wed 03-Dec-14 15:43:31
Print Post

iOS App Testing

[link to this post]

I recently installed an app/widget for my 6+ and it was clearly not working.

I have since been in contact with the app developer and he has released a "fix" which fixed absolutely nothing.

Not concerned about the £1.69 cost, but more interested in Apples testing regime.

I have always assumed Apple was particularly tough with app testing and would only release apps in the app store, if they fully worked.

Now speaking with the developer, he has not tested the app on a 6+, but, I would assume Apple would not release to the 6+ if it did not work on a 6+, i.e. it would not be made available for me to download.

The developer has offered to provide me with test updates via TestFlight (????) but I do not wish to install anything on the phone other than what comes legitimately from Apply. Although, I am begining to wonder what level of testing they do.

Anyone got any clues?

If interested, the app is Battery Graph Widget.
Standard User ian_c
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 03-Dec-14 16:09:59
Print Post

Re: iOS App Testing

[re: NaNook] [link to this post]

No way Apple (or any other company) could do that. It is impossible to test for every use-case. Also, it doesn't dictate *maximum* version/ kit requirements, only minimum.

They test that it fills the App store rules for coding (ie using public APIs/ not breaking sandboxing, not accessing things it shouldn't). But if an old app doesn't work on new kit, then it is up to the developer to fix it.

Usually if a fix doesn't fix something it means you need to delete and reinstall, so try that. The new version (2 Dec) claims to be compatible with the 6+.

Standard User NaNook
(freechataholic) Wed 03-Dec-14 16:21:00
Print Post

[re: ian_c] [link to this post]

Ok that's fair enough.

It is a new app, I think since IOS8, and I have deleted and re-installed and still no go.

I am disappointed at the developer for claiming it is 6+ compaitble when he himself admits he has never tested it on a 6+.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User ian_c
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 03-Dec-14 16:51:27
Print Post

[re: NaNook] [link to this post]

Yes, that is a bit naughty. I presume he used the emulator in xCode told him it would be fine.

I'd offer to test on my 5, but not at £1.49 wink

I'd suggest leaving a review outlining the problem (but don't forget to update it if he fixes it).

Standard User NaNook
(freechataholic) Wed 03-Dec-14 17:03:59
Print Post

[re: ian_c] [link to this post]

Already left a review smile

Just checked out testflight, never realised it was a proper Apple thingy. I'll give that a go with him and see what gives.
  Print Thread

Jump to